Internet download speed capped?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Black couch, Aug 31, 2020.

1. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Oke and you using the killer lan software ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Did you try your connection with a computer that you havent tortured ?

Did you talk to your ISP ?

Sounds like they are throtteling your downloads ?

When i do a download / upload test it says everything is correct ....... but when i use TOR or a torrent client its painfull .

3. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    no, never used it. purely just the drivers

i only had the software control center provided by them when the laptop first arrived and it was atrocious. mind you it only works on w10 home, as it is a microsoft store bound app. once i installed w10 ltsc, i never mingled with that app (everyone complaining about it)

4. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    yes, with another laptop on which there are no issues

no issues from the isp

wireless downloads at higher speeds fine, only ethernet gets bogged down for some reason. it would make sense if both browsing and file download speeds were low over it, but i get 940 mbps on speedtest and browsing is ultra fast, but downloading anything is painfully slow at lower than 2 MB/s

5. xteam

xteam MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2015
    does downloading the same file over ethernet and wifi have different speeds? or they are different files

6. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    exactly same file, wifi no problem, over ethernet it gets capped

7. xteam

xteam MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2015
    have you checked advanced settings in device manager could be tx/rx settings or link not set to 1gb ? sometimes reverting to older driver may fix some issues also untick the option that enables windows update updating your drivers

8. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    tx and rx are 1024; link is set to 1gb; duplex is on auto; i have tried everything possible on drivers..reverting, uninstalling, updating, different versions

9. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    The adapter usb-ethernet 1gb i have ordered arrived

Using it plugged in, it has no issues and downloads files with 40+ MB/s, and it would be closer to 100 MB/s if it had the time to ramp up and the seeders.
    Wireless still does it without problems

Upon switching back to the killer ethernet, the speed gets capped again at 1.4 - 2 MB/s
    Switching to adapter, no problems, high download speed
    Killer ethernet caps it agian

After testing like this, i would conclude that it is a hardware issue with the killer ethernet. However, 2 days ago for a short amount of time, i was able to download without being capped. This would imply either the problem mentioned before about the hardware, and that it is partly faulty and sometimes works sometimes doesn't, or that the drivers are f*ucked up or any other software reason.

I do not know what else to do and try so as to pinpoint exactly the issue