Internet Explorer 11 - Fast like hell?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sunesio, Sep 8, 2013.

1. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    And that's four plug-ins an/or extensions that IE11's Enhanced Protected Mode replaces entirely - with EPM active, you need none of them.

If you've ever used IE on Windows Server (any version since 2000) and wondered why you got all those NO flags, it's Enhanced Protected Mode minding the store.

SmartScreen comes over from Windows Server, too - I think of SmartScreen as browser armor (against drive-by infections).

Both are also active by default - you have to disable them to turn them off. However, once you see what they can do, why would you?

2. PGHammer

Oct 14, 2011
    Not to mention that Google is horked off with Microsoft for daring to not merely include tracking protection, but turning it on by default. (What a lot of us forget is that there is a reason that Google can provide all those *free* services - they are all powered by their advertising engine - Google Analytics. And I mean *all* their services - including Android and Chrome. What tracking protection and ad-blocking do to Google is turn off that revenue faucet - why do YOU think there's a deal between Google and the makers of ABP?)

Quite aside from ad-blocking and tracking protection, IE11 has gotten better at handling Flash-heavy sites. Publishers' Clearing House (pch.com) is basically a public browser obstacle course for Flash - so far, no browser handles pch.com as well as IE11. The only time I launch a non-IE browser is for sites that are deliberately IE-hostile (GFACE.com for example only supports Google Chrome).

3. ALeXTheGreaT

ALeXTheGreaT MDL Junior Member

Nov 20, 2009
    #23 ALeXTheGreaT, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    lol... I just opened IE11 to play with its incredible speed and pressed MDL forums for this very reason... It's truly extremely fast.

I love IE11 on YouTube with ActiveX protection enabled ( blocking flash ). It plays ALL videos in native .mp4 format (html5)! No ads, native dxva and all ( flash is using dxva too ). IE11 has fixed the full screen video resolution. You can do this on Firefox as well if you change the user agent to IE10 on Win 8 or IE11 on Win 8.1.

I also trust IE11 hardware acceleration. Generally IE11 is the most efficient browser in terms of CPU/GPU recources. Best Smooth Scrolling etc. I'm really pissed about Firefox's inefficient rendering. In some cases it uses my GPU on some specific sites as if I'm playing a game while IE11 on the same sites is using ~2% GPU utilization.

You can also use Easylist and Easyprivacy on IE tracking protection mechanism, though it isn't as effective as the AdBlock Plus, but anyway.

The true problem, though, its horrible, blurry font rendering. I'd never excuse MS for implementing this hideous font rendering on Metro UI, Metro Apps, Metro & Desktop IE.

In short, as I see it:

Firefox:

+Best Font Rendering you can find ( optimised directwrite/GDI according what fonts each site is using )
    +Best, most solid addon system
    -Inefficient GPU utilisation
    -It's getting slower as time is passing and the more addons you add ( kinda obvious the latter )

IE:
    +Efficient system resources handling
    +best smooth scrolling
    -Worst font rendering you can find ( unfortunately, crucial feature on the Web )
    -No solid, flexible ad blocking capabilities
    -No mouse gestures

Both as fast as hell.

4. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Totally agree :) But, still can't imagine I will use IE though:laie:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    I can still see ads with Enhanced Protected Mode.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PGHammer

Oct 14, 2011
    Did you also turn SmartScreen off?

Also, you can set EPM to Learning Mode (where it will follow your reference by site, and keep track of them for individual sites); this mode is Windows Server's default, and has been since Server 2008. (Why it comes in hand on Windows Server - there ARE times I need to grab third-party addons for Windows Server, or even files unavailable via MU/WU on Microsoft's own subsites. Because Learning Mode uses site-specific settings, it effectively sandboxes site settings from each other (and more effectively than ABP does - that difference between built-in vs. bolted-on again). I wish I knew how to set that up in 8.1 - way too useful.)

7. PGHammer

Oct 14, 2011
    You CAN keep individual providers unblocked (for example, I don't block Microsoft Advertising on Microsoft's own sites; however, I block any link connected to Google on those same sites). You can get really REALLY granular; still, I have a feeling there is a reason that IE11 in Windows 8.1 is not as locked down as it is on the Windows Server side of things (which it certainly can be - it's the same browser).

8. amitvn

amitvn MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2013
    Seriously thinking of switching to IE11 now ..
    Bookmark syncing across platforms and extensions are only things I am with Chrome..

9. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Use Xmarks for cross-platform bookmarks: h**ps://xmarks.com/

10. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Well lol its not fast as hell. After installing adblock plus on it it blocks ads it was nice. I can't tell the difference with IE and then FF and CHROME. Though I am not using the latest chrome ..for a reason. IE 11... Please its Microsoft.

After setting the scroll the SAME in Chrome .. oh my look it scrolls the same and just as fast. As for speed this is not as easy to test to many things come into play. It is far better then any IE I have seen.

As for ad blocks being evil please. After install in IE11 the 1st ad in the middle of the web page (MSN) you click the upper corner says basically "based on your web browsing and the information we gathered we put these ads" blah blah. Then installed ad block plus = ads gone.. Just don't play stupid.. no matter what you block or ask or tell them not to watch or take info they will some how anyway. So there are things I can do that some know with FF and Chrome I cant do with IE. I stand in shock watching what the US (gathering info) is doing and then people like sheep lol say nothing.

11. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I started using IE as my main browser from IE10. IE11 is definitely faster than chrome (at least for me), IE team can do more miracles if they work hard :)

12. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    I have no idea what you just said. Can you explain to me how this work? Because after digging in IE's settings I don't see anything you wrote about.