Internet Explorer Freezes/Crashes Constantly in Win 8.1

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by John Sutherland, Apr 18, 2015.

1. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello to All - I've had a lot of issues with Internet Explorer freezing and crashing in the past few months, and I'm hoping someone on the forum has the answer, since Microsoft or any other forum doesn't offer much in the way of help.

To be specific:
    Internet Explorer v. 11.0.9600.17728: Update version 11.0.18 (KB3038314)
    Windows 8.1 Core x86_64 v. 6.3.9600 (Not an update from Windows 8, a clean install)

This happens on a regular basis, sometimes two or three times in the same day. I'm on a webpage and find that nothing works. I can't use the forward/back buttons, can't enter a new web address, can't go to my homepage, can't use my bookmarks or favorites, and can't close it normally. It's completely frozen, and the only way out is to kill it using the Task Manager. Once in a while it just crashes outright, displaying a simple message to close and re-open the program.

I've tried the Microsoft recommended fixes, such as uninstalling all add-ons and resetting I.E. via Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset. After resetting, it works all right for 3-5 days and then it's right back to freezing and crashing. Can anyone offer any other ideas besides these?

I've got the very same version of I.E. 11 on my Windows 7 machine and have no issues whatsoever using it, so it seems to be the combination of Windows 8.1 and I.E. 11 that's the cause of the problem.

One more thing I'd like to mention: Please don't suggest installing another browser. I've already done that, and I'm looking for an actual solution to the problem, not to sidestep the problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #3 John Sutherland, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...