Internet "slowages"...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by RASelkirk, Mar 28, 2016.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

I have a Toshiba laptop with a Broadcom 802.11n WiFi card on my TWC 15/1 package that seems to slow down throughout the day, and by next morning it's only running at 1/1. To get my speed back up (any time, not just mornings) I go to device manager and reset any of the settings under advanced to "reboot" the card. I have 3 settings for channel 6; 6(20mhz), 6(40mhz-L), and 6(40mhz-U) and usually swap to one that's different, but any change on this page does the same thing. This disconnects the adapter, makes the changes, and reconnects at the advertised speeds.

I have no idea why this is, but it does work. I don't know the technical term for this card "reboot", but it's not "disable/enable", nor does "ipconfig/release or renew" do anything, and all the "netsh" commands seem to require a computer reboot.

I'd really like to write a script to run in taskmanager, but have no idea what it takes to do what I'm now doing in DM. Any ideas where to start?

TIA!

Russ

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that your ISP is throttling the traffic! That's typically for public 'shares' internet by ISP's!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    I don't think so, I mean, would resetting the card bring it back to full speed if the ISP was involved? Any time I notice it running slow, I verify it with a speed test site. Once I know it's slow, I can run my "routine", and after the card reconnects, the speed is back to full. My external IP rarely changes either. This can be any time during day, but I mostly notice it at night. Seems like it's more on my end, as I easily get my full speed back regardless of the time of day...

Russ

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    What operating system are you using? and what laptop? Have you updated any drivers for the wireless?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally, resetting will change the IP on Public Networks!

Didi you ever check, that after resetting the IP will still be the same, or changed to a different one?!

And just to mention, I'm on a Cable Connection (in Thailand) and also the IP very rarely change, maybe every 2 month or so, and on my Laptop, which has both Ethernet and WiFi Connection, and both are enabled at all times, the speed on the same network, where I'm a that specific moment, will drops after some time. Talked to the ISO Engineer, he told that's about the automatic throtteling on all public Network Connetion in Thailand! That will works all times if both, Ethernet and WiFi are connected at the same time, or WiFi alone, after sudden Data Traffice were used, It stops, if I use to the Hot Key Combo FN + F3 for to disable WiFi, the speed in Ethernet will not drops!

Check it out on your machine!!

6. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    It's Win7x64 on a new C75D that came with Win10. Drivers are the latest that will work with v7.

That I can try, BTW, mine is FN +F12. While our IP's are NOT static, TWC rarely changes them. I have not been logging them, but may do so just to see. This morning, I checked and got 17.8/1.3...

Russ

7. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Got a chance to try this and it does work. Takes awhile to resynch, but works. Is this the same as disable/enable in "network connections"? Now I need to write a script to do this automagically from task manager...

Russ

8. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010

Benn there, done that. The people on this forum are eons ahead of them...

Russ

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Yes...They are ;)

10. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    #10 RASelkirk, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Here's what I found that does the same thing:

Code:
    @echo on
    netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection" DISABLED
    timeout /t 10
    netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection" ENABLED

It takes about 15 seconds to run and resumes the connection really quick. Paste it in a notepad fie and save as filename.bat...

Russ