iphone 3gs GPS

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by paul3200, Jul 3, 2011.

1. paul3200

paul3200 Guest

hey this is probelly a really stupid question but i am on o2 Pay and go (with the text and web deal) and got an iphone 3gs

if i was to use the GPS function with the tomtom app will it use up my credit or internet allowance?

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Depends. I'm not sure about TomTom, but if your navigation software gets the maps from the internet, it uses up data traffic. If you're using "offline navigation" (everything stored on phone) it shouldn't...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. paul3200

paul3200 Guest

kk thanks mate I will try it tomorrow on the compass app that comes with the iphone

4. spion

spion MDL Member

Mar 27, 2010
    The Tomtom App uses offline maps so no internet connection is requerd. only if GPS is unavailable the TomTom app uses 3g to find your location

5. MrKaon

MrKaon MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    and if you have traffic data available, it will use DATA as well

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    #6 vladxed666, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    My TomTom Doesnt Use 3g At All...

@TS If You Just Wanna Be Safe You Can Go To Settings And Turn Cellular Data Off While Using GPS

You can adjust this setting from Settings > General > Network:
    Turning off Cellular Data does not affect your ability to make or receive phone calls, or to use Wi-Fi networks for Internet connectivity.

Turning Cellular Data Off Removes All Internet Functionality I Used To Do This On AT&T and Globe Telecoms