Is Aug 15 "Windows 8 Judgement Day"? Will MS Take Actions On Non-Activated Win8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FaiKee, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    If you guys are that worried about the MS servers somehow invalidating your copy and making it reboot every 2 hours you're wrong, but if you're really that paranoid about it then change your KMS host to an invalid domain, just like the MS one currently it, voila problem solved.

The 2 hour reboot rule ONLY applies to the TIMEBASED_EVAL key channel, when the initial grace expires, and you have 5 rearms to extend that trial. The leaked ISO's run in the KMSCLIENT channel most of the time or even the RETAIL channel, these keys do not have a timebomb in them so you will not get a 2 hour reboot after 30 days.

2. black-apple

black-apple MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2012
    KMS host change ?, voila problem solved.
    Hahahahahaha!
    ..wait of the first 8 upd you load ..

3. prease

prease MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2012
    how would one change their KMOS host?

4. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    How did you activate it. I have tried even with MSDN and can not activate it.

5. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
  6. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Actually I was not thinking of a 2 hour or 1/2 hour reboot, I was thinking of a 3 day limit then viola! Black wallpaper.:haha:

7. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I won't bother with rtm for now, and I'll stick with my rp/win7 dual boot and wait to see how this all plays out. Nothing really earth shattering in 8 for me anyway... I operate completely in desktop mode anyway.

8. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Because grace is 3, not 30 days. And for people who did believe that they could use it forever non-activated, use it as his main(or even only) OS; installed all his apps, and put in all his files, the description "minor" is really a bad sarcasm. :aglerks:

9. CRA2YHAVOK

Oct 23, 2009
  10. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    I never said anything about updates, I was talking about the OS becoming functionally disabled, and since it's already in the most locked down state I do not see that happening.

Will Windows updates install? I have no idea, probably not, but the OS itself will work.

11. sbred2

sbred2 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    In the past they have allowed critical security updates to stop malware from spreading, so they probably won't disable updates for unactivated Windows 8 systems.

12. petersaints

petersaints MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2008
    I was going to install this latest Pro leak because I'll probably have a Pro Retail key from DreamSpark Premium at the end of August (but it can be later). Also a Loader (at least in the next few days) seems unlikely... with that I could post pone the life of my Windows 8 install until I had a real key, uninstalled the loader and inserted the real key, but without a loader in the horizon that's not an option.

Having all this in mind I will not risk using this leak as my main OS, even though my Windows 7 install is already a bit old and showing a few signs of wear off. Only VM for now...

13. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Welcome to the real world where noobs believes without doubt if somebody speaks authoratively.:biggrin:

No, nowhere is a 3-day grace, it's actually the 3 day limit I meant that MS gives when they checked on a bad key(in Vista/win7), and I think the countdown had already begun when WZOR tried on his OS when he got it, maybe MS was just tolerating atm(like I said in a earlier post), I don't know, just guessing.

14. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Well I'm not worried one bit of any of this and there's no need to panic at all really.
    Everything is gonna work out just fine in given time. In a few months we're gonna look back laughing at this.

So there is no Judgment day in my book.

15. TheBlade

TheBlade MDL Senior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I seem to have a large watermark saying go to PC settings to activate. Does anyone else have this or is everyone else covering it in their screens...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

If you're running the Enterprise Edition then YES it's normal and everyone else running that edition has the watermark.

The Pro Edition is different though, can't remember what it was, some kind of screen in Metro or something.

17. Sheza

Sheza MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    Depending on the version you're using, and what key you installed with, that'll appear every 3 hours. On some versions it seems to appear 15 minutes after 3 hours.

But since we're modifying god knows what, we're constantly rebooting, hence you rarely see screenshots with that watermark.

18. CRA2YHAVOK

Oct 23, 2009
    I still get it with Pro, if it's the grey screen overlay watermark I think it's in all editions, not totally sure, only used Pro & Enterprise.

To get rid of it for a while do this: