Is Enterprise edition less "intrusive" than Pro/Home?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by werwaok, May 25, 2016.

1. werwaok

werwaok MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Is Enterprise edition less "intrusive" than Pro/Home?
    Does it give more control on Windows Update?
    Can it permanently disable Windows Defender through settings, not registry/group policy?
    Could someone point any advantages for home/small business, or are there none, and I should keep on using Windows 7, or go straight to Windows 10 LTSB 2015?

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Don't forget also the option of using Server 2016 as workstation OS.

It's definitely the lightest and cleanest W10 available, it comes with no metro app but still has the store, and unlike the previous versions isn't mutilated in any way, except for the bluetoot stack (just use the toshiba stack if you need it). But has a wide choice of (optional) fetures unavailble on desktop versions. Starting from the incredibly useful deduplication.

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    No

No

No

Nothing, except switching telemetry to lowest (not Off)
    keep on using Windows 7

4. werwaok

Sep 20, 2013
    Frankly I have never used a Windows Server but "definitely the lightest and cleanest" sounds great.
    Is it really ready for "home"? For both desktops and laptops?
    Drivers for USB 3.0, graphics cards, Wi-Fi, support for DirectX games, Office 2016?
    And also how does it update from "old" preview to "new", or eventually final RTM?
    I just got new SSD drives, and I don't want to waste them formatting, and reinstalling OS in a month or two.

5. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Predicted base cost of Server 2016 RTM is $800.00 US :eek::eek::eek:

6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Yes.

No problems with drivers in general. But is possible that a definite OEM driver could be purposely disabled for servers.

Keep also in mind that some AV and also some Partitioning SW may require the server version to be installed.

It's an artificial barrier but is there

I think so. But at the same time you don't have an upgrade path from desktop to server versions and viceversa

Look SSD problems are mostly myths, after six years since the first SSD I have installed, I have yet to see a single fault over 50/60 SSD installed. In short. way way more reliable than any HDD I have touched

Use your SSD as you like and don't be worried about pointless urban legends.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I think that people not worried to install the Enterprise in home environment aren't worried by the server price as well.

8. giantaxe

giantaxe MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2014
    Its "almost" okay, there still is the wifi bug in TP5 where wifi drivers just wont install (actually, the entire wlan service just seems to have gone to the moon on the last build)

As for specific OEM drivers, if you have an Intel i218-V or Intel i219-V for example, you either have to hijack the driver inf files or install the i218-lm or i219-lm drivers instead (The LM version is supported on Windows Server, the V nic's aren't)

Other than that, I'd say yeah, its mostly ready. (Unless you also need language packs besides English, last time I tried there were none available for TP5)

9. werwaok

Sep 20, 2013
    Good to know, thanks.
    Well no. It is available in all languages.

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    No
    No
    No
    The only advantages I can think of are hardware support and communications apps.
    Since win7 is such a popular platform, they already have tons of 3rd party programs that can do the same things that many of the win8+ apps do.
    The only reason I'd ever consider paying for it is that they seem to be aiming to make it a long-term OS platform, meaning you'd get new builds and with them new hardware support and such.

Is it important to upgrade now? No, not unless you have no hardware support for win7, which is unlikely.
    In a few years after your system gets old, it will make a lot more sense.

11. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I've got Win-10 Enterprise installed on a separate hard disk, and fire it up when I want "The Windows-10 Experience". Would it be possible to upgrade the current Win-10 Enterprise to Server 2016? or do I need to do a fresh install.

Thanks for the tip.

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I don't think so, even with the usual registry trick, the installation starts but fails in the last steps.

13. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #14 Palladin, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Fooey, guess I could always image the current setup and begin from scratch with Server 2016 just to see what it's all about. Are there many flavors of the software, and which one do you recommend. I read the thread in your sig, and was somewhat confused as to where to get a copy. :eek:

I checked over at Paul's Jukebox but didn't see any server editions.

Activate with Nova-s KMSpico ?

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Just install it on a native vhd. The easiest way, or in a separate partition

My signature has nothing to do with that. It's about WMC.

No need to use that. Just download it directly from the MS servers.

Just look on the server section

It's a TP release. For now all you need to do is to insert the key provided by MS.

15. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I'm assuming it doesn't have Direct X. After all, I'd assume except for a game server, most servers aren't needing it. But on the off chance that it does... Anyone?

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    It's win10 minus the blutooth stack, minus the metro apps except the store, plus all the server roles and features installable optionally.

That's all.

Even the mediacenter works practically out of the box.

17. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #19 GOD666, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    :worthy:

:worthy:

I don't use anything with Bluetooth so I'm OK with that.... Basically, I've been wanting Enterprise, but with the store (and regular updates). Which of course isn't going to happen! Seems like Windows Server 2016 maybe what I've been looking for.

Thank you both. :clap:

18. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    I'd do it if it was a desktop comp, games are ok I just play solitaire and apps are whatever for me, I don't think it'd be a good idea to use in on a notebook cause of power settings and sleep, what do you think?