Is it just me or does Windows 8 SUCK?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by berryracer, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Do you like the new Windows 8 Interface?

1. Yes

40.7%
  2. No

59.3%
  1. Gary5393

Gary5393 MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2012
    Off comment: Unfortunately you seem to believe in the fact that someone who appears to be at a lower intelligence than you doesn't deserve a right to speak their mind. last time i checked you didn't have to be eighteen to use a computer, so maybe instead of spreading hate why don't you formally express you own opinion ONCE and politely STFU.

Back on topic Windows 8 is great if you never have used any other OS from Microsoft but for me it was a learning curve. I like how 8 is more simple but at the same time i hate it. it Seem like they made this computer harder to do more complex things like file management and control panel type stuff, now don't get me wrong it can still be done just not as easily in my mind as 7. so i would not say its Terrible, but rather more along the lines of different.

2. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    The OP asks two contradictory questions. 1) Does Windows 8 suck? 2) Do you like the new interface? If you answer "yes" are you saying Windows 8 sucks or are you saying you like the new interface? I hope the OP is not a programmer!:D

3. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    ... more likely a woman ...

4. catsado

catsado MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2010
    The thing i don't like atm is that everybody follows Win8 design and becoming flat.

5. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
  6. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    in fact, I really hate it.

7. taurus_g4

taurus_g4 MDL Novice

May 8, 2007
    If by Interface OP meant 'Modern UI' then it sure does does Suck! I had to buy Start 8 to get rid of that idiotic Screen Hi-Jacker its completely hideous and useless for us the Desktop Users.

There are couple other screw ups topping the list is Universal Access Control bulls**t :31:

8. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    #808 Cal-123, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    I broke down and installed Win 8 Pro (torrent and then edited a file in sources)...but after a week of using it and trying to use only libraries - I gave up and restored an image I had of a well laid out version of Win 7. I could not see any revolutionary changes from Win 7 to Win 8, except having to mod a start button to navigate. Why use an app if you have better program from before? Sure a few MS new drivers helped the clean install I made, and a fake speed-up of booting by going to the Desktop and *then* loading the system can possibility reduce booting by 2 or 3 seconds. Win 8 does shutdown quickly...but is *that* what we Desktop users should update for? I think not. It's all Win 7 under the hood, except they made if much harder to raise the 'hood' to tune things a bit.

First vote was for Win 7 only...but now it is Win 8 *Never* Edition for me. This, will, IMO, drastically cut the selling of Desktops that are factory loaded with Win 8...and a laptop with a touch screen is a frigging joke with out a mouse.:wallbash:

9. cyba

cyba MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2007
    #809 cyba, Dec 15, 2012
    Have to agree with CAL-123 (and similar others). I've been using WN8 (alongside WN7) for yonks. I've got the promo code through the legit channel to buy the legit update dl/disk for the legit cheap price. But I'm not going to. Sure, we can get used to the new interface, as others say they have, and find our way around WN8 quite quickly. But, when you consider *objectively* the differences, *as desktop systems*, between WN7 and WN8, there's no good reason for an update. I'm using by default, like many people, the non-metro interface and Stardock's START8 - basically, 'WN7'. That's not because I don't want to change and leave the older OS behind. I just find that, by comparison, Metro, on the desktop, is clumsier and slower. It's obviously designed for phones/touch-screens. Flick, flick. And that's the WN8, unlike MAC OS, problem: two totally different types of interface on one system. Dumb, M$, dumb - unless they're signalling the end of the M$ desktop OS (which we will see them follow through in 'WN9, 10', etc.) I'd have thought that would be premature. There are articles around touting the decline of PCs but who's to say that's not because most PCs these days are adequate enough for most users who can't see the point of upgrading (diminishing returns.) Perhaps PCs need a significant boost in performance - much lower prices for big SSDs and very fast (Core-i7 and whatever AMD have to offer) CPUs, mobo architecture, bluetooth, Thunderbolt, etc, etc. If that were to happen then watch WN8-bundled PC desktop sales fly.

10. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Can anyone even prove W8 is slower to use than W7 if you actually use it like W7, ignoring metro apps etc :coffee:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    #811 Cal-123, Dec 15, 2012
    I'm sure their would be 'proof' either way, faster, slower, or the same - and I'm sure that by now someone has timed everything with most configurations. All I can say is "Show me the positives of using Win 8. Show me *why* it's worth changing from any OS (MS, or Linux) to Win 8. Sure all of the people are not IT geeks - most are noobs and Win 8 will protect *itself* from them and save a lot of calls to MS for help. But for geeks, or just advanced noobs, will just be greeted with pesty irritations. First no start button. Did MS really thing that we (geeky types) would be pleased with that joke? What will we do with all our much better programs - trash them for a poorly made MS app? Why hell no of course.

There are some extremely wise individuals at MS. They have something planned for us and that is they *LEARN* everyday more and more about our advances to crack this POS known as Win 8. This last update informed them to shut some doors, and as we send them messages continually they will soon see they are successful in blocking 99.9 attempts to crack this OS to full. There is one thing IMO ...when Win 9 comes, get out the $$ because it will be an almost non-breakable system, not perfect, but better that anything they have ever had before.

12. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Can anyone prove that windows 8 is FASTER than 7?. Other that the boot up sequence.

13. PrincessLuna

PrincessLuna MDL Junior Member

Oct 5, 2012
    #813 PrincessLuna, Dec 15, 2012
    I am using Windows 8 over Windows 7 just because of this! Unfortunately the only computer I own is a netbook and I use it for development with VS, SQL etc.

I used to use VS 2010 on XP then test apps that target w7 as it was too slow to use w7 for development compared to xp.

Now I upgraded to win8 and its very fast on my netbook for development and even other tasks compared to win7. Since my computer is slow, its easy to notice the speed difference.

Edit: Very fast compared to win7, the computer is still obviously slower for compiling compared to a top notch core i device. But its usable and with patience I can manage my development work.

I absolutely hate the look of Win8 though which I partially solved with startisback and a windows 7 theme from deviantart.

The start screen is useless anyways as my resolution is too low for metro apps.

14. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Much faster than Windows 7. I even installed it on my colleague's netbook with dual-core Atom and it works much better than original Windows 7 Starter.

15. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    I have my doubts you are a "geeky type" as you seem to miss the idea behind Windows 8.
    Metro != replacing Desktop

Wut?

So did i hate the W7 theme.. custom theme ftw! Your point being?

How can a Startscreen be useless when it's basicly just a Launcher just like the Startmenu was?

Ready... Steady... Go!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. PrincessLuna

Oct 5, 2012
    If you open a modern app on a low res screen like mine, you get a notification saying "Your resolution is too low". So using the start screen where only desktop apps can run is a bit annoying. Also the horizontal scroll is unbearable on my small screen.

17. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Who is forcing you to use a Modern app? In fact.. you can't even use a modern app under w7 either, on any resolution! Crazy eh?
    How many Apps did you have in W7 pinned, you get 9 tiles without scrolling on your Resolution on 8, heck even a bit more with a regtweak.

18. PrincessLuna

Oct 5, 2012
    Even with the reg tweak, after a windows update, I do not get more than 2 tiles per row. (Well actually I can use a modern app with an upscaled resolution). W7 is too slow for development on my system which is why I am using w8. I don't really have an interest in metro apps but I like somethings from w8, like the new file copy etc. I'm not really bothered as long as the OS works for development as I use Linux mainly and my system is too slow for gaming on Windows.

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Sady this 2 tiles per row is indeed a bug in Windows 8, my netbook i don't use has the same issue, can easily blame Microsoft for that, best to report the issue to MS support.

20. PrincessLuna

Oct 5, 2012
    I honestly think it might be a feature intentionally put by an update. I think I will ask Ms support. Unfortunately in my case, I have to use the old netbook as its the only computer I own. Still an old netbook is much better than no computer.