Is it just me or does Windows 8 SUCK?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by berryracer, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Do you like the new Windows 8 Interface?

1. Yes

40.8%
  2. No

59.2%
  1. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Not sure if that was sarcastic or serious, it's really bug.. it's in since the Windows Developer Preview :)
    And yeah a netbook is better than absolutely nothing :p but sure not exactly a good thing for development.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. FARID88

FARID88 MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2011
    Yeah it most definitely sucks!
    3 times now I have tried to migratation from & to 8 and every time I have been disappointed big time.

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Care to elaborate? Disappointed because of what?
    This is a forum, not "lol i dun like" whatever facebook, there isn't any information in your post. o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    The *only* thing that is not disappointing is your rabid insistence that Win 8 is the cat's meow. Climb off the MS soapbox and give logical input to what *you* mean...not what the other parties mean. You seem to want to ridicule others for not 'loving' this new OS. What is *your* interest in promoting it?

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Im not promoting it.
    It's just ridiculous seeing people write "i don't like it" without telling whats really wrong with it, W7 isnt exactly the holy grail, neither is W8, but i want to see ppl actually using this FORUM to discuss, not to write single posts about how they don't like it without telling why they don't like it.. i mean tell me, whats wrong with it? Really, what can't you do on W8 you can do on W7 daily? This is a forum, so feel free to share, so we can discuss the valid, invalid or pointless points about why something simple to fix breaks the whole OS for one.

6. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Why people complain about Metro UI? I chose Windows 8 because of better performance, better SSD optimization, better resources management, which makes it important after installing tons of software. Just try to use Windows 7 for 3-4 months with a lot of stuff, it will slowdown. Windows 8 is much better in this stuff. I never considered switching from Windows 7 to 8 for the new interface, but it seems really good to me after months of using. I just deleted all Metro apps including the Store and it's much more usable.

7. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    I neither dislike or like Win8, i'm inbetween, i have been trying 8 and sort of got used to the start screen, but i still can't use it due to incompatibilities with some old Command & Conquer games that don't use 32-bit colour, which is what 8 use as default.

If it wasn't for that i would be using Win8.

8. fidof650

fidof650 MDL Novice

May 19, 2010
    I'm not a big fan of metro however, I've customized Windows 8 to skip the login screen and head strait to the desktop where I have installed a Windows 7 Start button with a free lightweight program.

I have also customized the metro interface to have only tiles that I use frequently. This is helpful because even though I don't use metro as my primary start screen, I can pull it up in my peripheral screens to quick launch additional applications without disrupting the work I'm doing on the main screen.

Yes, at first I hated Windows 8 however, once I asked myself what exactly I missed about Windows 7 and was able to attend to that issue (often with a more elegant solution) I found that Windows 8 is truly an upgrade and have come to appreciate the flexibility it affords me.

~fidof650

9. Themask007

Themask007 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    #829 Themask007, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    Here having two Notebooks, One too old dual core with 2gb ram runs win8, other with i7 & win7.

For Older Systems ::confused:
    I am sure that windows 7 runs faster on older pc's. so For a week I tried & found it somewhat fast.So using it for Copy Past (Data Maintenance ) & Torrent With always online setup. But still here & there laggs.
    * It sometime freezes at restarting screen.
    * desktop Taskbar shows application that are even closed.
    so not a stable OS till date.
    I am really thinking to revert back to win7 on this. But afraid of setting whole os again in win7. Any way near or in little far future I am sure going to Win7 back.:p

For Latest or Upgraded Systems ::negative:
    On i7 PC it is not even better than dos where one can use one thin at a time.Just colors into background. Still I have no idea why someone want to chat full screen on facebook. It su*ks in itself.
    So No to Win8 Here & I revert back to win7. Win7 come with i7 laptop & I really enjoy everything on it. Never going to install win8 on it.

Whole world Around metro is so dull. M$ You are a fail here. Rather than there should have been ways to run metro app on desktop like net app. They are more of shortcut to internet than full applications.

So All in All windows 8 is a Big Fail.:negative:
    Next OS coming in not less than 2 years . So win7 Rocks till than.:yeahyeah:
    Or I can try some Linux Distro in between.

10. Warmonger

Warmonger MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    And what if Microsoft decides to not change the new Windows model, for Windows 9? I honestly don't see Metro going away for many many years. They may bring the option to use the classic start menu back, but I doubt they will scrap Metro entirely. I get the feeling Windows 9 will be no different then Windows 8, except way more polished with fixing start menu resolution bugs etc.

11. Themask007

Themask007 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    ;)
    Still one way " Dump M$ Windows " & Use Linux Distro.
    I think google also going for their full OS in future . Only Hopes yet, fingers crossed.:coffee:

12. Eldarien

Eldarien MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2012
    What about this list: xpwasmyidea.blogspot.com/2011/09/features-removed-in-windows-8.html

13. brut7

brut7 MDL Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Thats what I've been doing for Mac users who don't want to pay for it, loading Ubuntu on PC's or if their capable having them do it themselves.

14. DFIman

DFIman MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    It isn't just microslop that's changing things, those who have used Ubuntu for awhile know where that's gone, I used to like Ubuntu when it had the Gnome 2 desktop I hate Unity with a passion, so I abandoned it for Debian Stable. In my opinion, Debian blew Ubuntu away, then along comes Debian Wheezy (Testing) with the mess that is Gnome 3. Now I have to use Mate, XFCE or go to KDE. Even the Apple fanboys have probably seen changes, I don't really know cause I don't use Mac.

In other words, the grass ain't any greener..... :eek:

15. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    #836 Cal-123, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    The purpose of Window 8 was simplicity - but it ain't so simple. That is its main flaw, as they make it appear to be *so* easy. Totally inexperienced users of *any* OS find it not easy! I have witnessed this with my wife. I bought her a touch screen Windows ultra book She never got farther than the insistent MS's demands to be signed up for their 'stuff' on initial login. I finished that part and put in her email, and etc. Then she was stumped with the app start screen, although she uses an Asus Transformer tablet (but dislikes it's short comings) which I knew a Windows OS should give her. But as I'd been using this system in VMware and also installed clean to a laptop but with some modifications, such as to Start button, etc, I couldn't navigate as easily as I could with the first install of Windows 7. That is this OS's worst problem for very new, first time, and total inexperienced users.

I think that is what MS was *trying* to do, "Keeping it simple, stupid" - they failed for the users they were trying to gain. Best Buy has had the biggest return of their Windows loaded laptops, in my area at least, they have ever experienced. That is according to the return person when we took the ultrabook back. Only good thing is - Best Buy charges no re-stocking fees. :)

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    I see a lot of complains about the Startscreen etc but did anyone waste hours in the Startmenu in W7? Nobody, it's a Launcher and it's just minutes, so where is the loss? And in case you still didn't notice, but you actually have less average Mouse travel on the Startscreen than on the Startmenu if you make use of your fabulous WinKey8-16.png Key and even without the Key you don't lose, think about it.

Also Shortcuts!!1

WinKey8-16.png +ISettings
    WinKey8-16.png +WSearch Windows Settings
    WinKey8-16.png +QSearch Apps
    WinKey8-16.png +DDesktop
    WinKey8-16.png +FSeach Files (If anyone is using this, i certainly don't)
    hmm.. :coffee:

But Microsoft should have really added a proper Tutorial to Windows8, a new device doesn't make average consumer smarter.

17. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I voted NO. I have been using it for a couple of months and it is just too much work to use the interface. I have arthitis and it acts up all the time from moving the mouse all the time, from one corner to another and the myriad of menus. I switched win7 back as my main and all is well. I still have win8 8 on my secondary machine for quick stuff like email, surfing, photos, etc and it's acceptable after the learning curve. But for real work on the pc it is it a serious pain in my arm! I've memorized all the keyboard shortcuts, but the systems just want too much mouse activity for me.

-=Mark=-

18. Themask007

Themask007 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    #839 Themask007, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    Same feeling here.Windows 8 not for me.

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You might want to buy a TouchPad, you can relax you arm&hand a lot better on a TouchPad, use your Mouse for actual work and the TouchPad for everything else to relax it.

You say "all the time from moving the mouse from one corner to another and menus", but.. what are you even doing? the only important piece of thing is the Start "button" corner, you don't even need the charms apart from a eventual Shutdown/Restart/Sleep/Hibernate via GUI, unless you pin the Option you need to Startscreen.
    Would help a bit if you could explain what exactly you are doing that you get more Mouse travel on 8 than on 7 when you should actually get the same and often even less if you use it like you would use Windows 7 with a different Launcher.