Is it possible to install Windows Media Center on these new builds?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MikeFarter, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The only place that MS paid any attention to as far as WMC is concerned was 'The Green Button' but they shut that down a few years ago. :(

MS have been messing with the 'Network Stack' in 10049 causing a few issues, which have been carried over in the latter leaks. That may have something to do with it.

Off-topic - Maybe I need to find a Dell, my HP's built in WiFi and my USB 3G Modem are both being effected by it o_O

Didn't Gabe post a while back (first TP I think) not to use your Windows 8.x WMC keys in Windows TP ???

2. MikeFarter

MikeFarter MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2014
    Looks like there's a few news stories floating around about how MS is NOT going to include WMC in 10 :mad:. If this is true, why are they including the code in the Technical Previews?

If WMC is truly dropped from 10, is there any chance that one could manually "add" the feature somehow, or would that be impossible?

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. fonix232

fonix232 MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    Actually, there's an easier way to preserver WMC. If you upgrade from a Win8.1 install that incorporates WMC (so any non-N release from MSDN), it will be saved and you can still use it (mostly, haven't really tested).

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Atm, as you can read earlier in this thread WMC is still included on any win 10 iso, and you can install it as you like (after the dism action on wim), installing it on an empty disk or upgrading from any upgradable version (no matter if WMC enabled or no). So atm the problem is inexistent.

The problem will start when they will remove completely the components from the iso

6. fonix232

fonix232 MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    I installed Win10 10074 for a friend from ISO, full clean install, and it had no WMC in it, I double-checked. Some of the parts that come with the WMC-enabled Win installs (e.g. MTP driver) are present, but WMC itself isn't. Might be just user error though.

7. gacelasa

gacelasa MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2008
    I change the ISO of Windows 10 professional saying it was the media center, as indicated in another post here, and as usual, to start the watermark me keeps saying it's Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center but build is 10074. Everything remains the same. The way to have media center will be changing the ISO? I do not think that they would do for them.

8. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    #52 alien2xx, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    I doubt MS will "Kill" WMC service (EPG, etc) until at least the end of life of Windows 7 or 8 when MS ends its support (but again M$ is known to make weird decisions sometimes :eek:)... so still a few years to go... by then I am sure would be plenty of new alternatives that would be even better... now we have NextPVR, Kodi, etc.. they are good but their GUI is not as polished... nice but not there yet in my opinion, but expected to get even better...
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet:
    h**p://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yep; protections are much harder & its just a PoC.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You must read this very thread since the beginning.

You can't get WMC from a downloaded win 10 ISO, as is.

You have to change the Target Version using dism.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Actually I'm the one who misinterpreted a message here, a message from you.

So yes you're inconsistent, Sir :p

Releasing WHS, WHS2011, and SSE2008r2, w/o WMC was another idiotic step by MS

Even when they are in hurry they and they have enough time to remove things they finish the work in a second time just look at the original start menu code, left almost completely in win 8, and removed from win 8.1

They did it again in win 10, the initial non XAML start menu was still available, under the hud, on the latest 99xx builds, and then removed from the 100xx ones

Frankly I still prefer the UI of XP's WMC over the newer versions, it's way snappier and better organized, too bad they removed the HDTV support from the latest big update (once again right before the final release)
    I'm still using Windows 7 WMC now as I don't like Windows 8.x and I bet it will still be working when Windows 10 is released.
    :confused:

Given the EPG are limited to the 7/8 bigger TV networks (at least in my country) that won't be an huge issue for me, I'm already using the great EPGcollector to grab the in channel EPG data

12. Deihmos

Deihmos MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    #56 Deihmos, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    WMC in WIndows 8 is better than it is in 7. Faster and they fixeda few bugs. What's not to like about windows 8?

It is a shame there is no wmc in Windows 10. I guess my htpcs are stuck on 8.1

13. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Let's wait a WMC mod for Win10 RTM u.u

14. Gabbyii

Gabbyii MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    So has anyone tried this with the final build of windows 10 and did it work with it also?

15. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Any news about WMC integration?

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009