Is it possible to install windows10 on a usb key

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lievre, Feb 29, 2016.

1. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    well hopefully he will figure it out:D

2. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    :eek::confused:

Yes i did:confused::clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2013
    The link Wazoo posted are a great help.

The only disadvantage here is if you get to a computer that does not allow you to change the boot order / boot off of USB, which happens a good bit in the corporate world.

4. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you check theoven.org?

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    That's easy. Only here is too much dust in air now.

7. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #27 Bat.1, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    A few Months ago I had uploaded a torrent of Win 10 Pro made to be used entirely offline for "tin foil hat" wearers. My fastest USB drive took a dump so I "Burned" the OS onto a 32GB ADATA drive that couldn't even boot up because it was so slow. I then copied the OS onto a Seagate 1TB Expansion drive to update and install programs. To compress the size where I could upload the OS as a torrent I used AOEMI Backupper, then I was able to "Restore" the OS onto a internal partition, or any external HDD or USB flash drive and run it.

Making a short story already longer than it needs to be, I ran the Win 10 Pro OS mostly on My 32GB Corsair Survivor Stealth which was barely fast enough. When it was time for a Cumulative update, I'd install it on the Expansion, then use that to put back on the Stealth. So No You Don't need a Certified Drive and Pro works as well as Enterprise :biggrin:

8. nadiadsz

nadiadsz MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2015
    Simple instructions

- Format the USB to NTFS and make sure the partition is marked as "active" on Disk Manager

- Enter this command on CMD (V = USB Driver Letter -- F:\sources\install.wim = Path of install.wim)
    dism /Apply-Image /imagefile:F:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:V:\

- install the boot files with this command:
    bcdboot V:\Windows /s V:

If you couldn't make the usb boot, then open cmd and try these commands:
    v:
    cd v:\Windows\System32
    bcdboot.exe v:\Windows /s v: /f ALL

9. B Zhan

B Zhan MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2013
    I agree with you, WinToUSB is the best choice.