Is it still possible to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 using media creation tool?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Turh, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Turh

Turh MDL Novice

May 25, 2020
    #1 Turh, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    I have a friend who is having problems wit her PC, she is running windows 7 and outlook 2010 constantly asks for password and doesn't seem to accept it, after entering it, the same box appears.
    She is having other issues with it as well.

She is abroad so I have to login using anydesk to help her. I tried to backup and make a bootable USB for her remotely, but that didn't go well - "plug it in, boot, F12 for boot menu, select USB..." :confused::mad:

Is it possible to upgrade anymore? Media Creation Tool doesn't seem to work and I have windows 7 up to date.
    When I try to run Media Creation Tool, I get the error message:

We're not sure what happened, but we're unable to run this tool on your PC.
    If you continue experiencing problems, reference the error code when contacting customer support.
    Error code 0x80072F8F - 0x20000.

It is very late here (02:25AM) so I may not be online if there are any helpful replies tonight, until the morning.

thanks in advance.

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    As for Outlook, there was a Cloudflare outage/interruption of service yesterday, and MS still has problems. Outlook and Exchange are partly Cloudflare-backed, it seems.

3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Unfortunately, I can't personally verify this at this time, but it's quite likely that this method will no longer be available, and it's a good (much better) idea to use the Genuine Ticet method and perform a clean installation of Windows 10 instead. There's no need to regret it, because when you upgrade Windows 7 using the method you mentioned is also in anyway needed do a clean install after you have upgraded. With the Genuine Ticet method, you simply do things much more rationally and save a lot of your own time.
    But nowhere have I been told that anyone with a genuine Windows 7 key can now activate Windows 10. It also worked very well in the past, I have done it many times.
    The only condition is that this key must not have been previously activated for any Windows 10.
    But there is no problem with activation at all .... Why bother with activation at all if massgravel works perfectly?
    And a clean installation is definitely needed, new drivers are needed, and programs need to be reinstalled anyway. And if you don't, you'll have a painful struggle to find and fix mistakes what usually ends with doing clean install very soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...