Is it write in BIOS which CPU can be use on a motherboard?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by saebasan, Aug 21, 2009.

1. saebasan

saebasan MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Is it write in the BIOS to 'forbid' to use some special CPU series (by example quad-cores)?
    I mean, are the PC makers artificially lock their Bios to be use just with some limited cpu, although the motherbords are all the same and should be able to handle every cpu (that the chipset allow, of course)???
    So, if it write somewhere in the Bios, is it possible to make a mod bios that permit to use cpu planed for chipset series?

P.S. In fact, I have a HP, BIOS Inside H2O, with PM45 and P8600 on it. On Intel site, this chipset is the "high end one", and should be able to handle quad-core procs too.
    In fact, I tried, and no it don't work. It seems, there is a limitation somewhere, and I wondered if it's not the Bios.
    After reading the Inside H2O web pages, it seems that these new Bios are 'easy programming' for PC makers, and permit them to better isolate PC series. So, in conclusion, they can create more 'marketing' PC serie with exactly the sames hardware...

2. sunnyimran

sunnyimran MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    other limitations

generally, Modern mobos automatically adjust CPU voltages as required be a CPU series.

I mean, when you plug in a CPU which is supported by board, its voltage ratings are automatically adjusted by motherboards.

usually branded PCs like dell are made for a specific purpose in mind, with little options of upgrades.

so may be your board does'nt have the capability of adjusting CPU voltage / FSB ratings etc for your new CPU

3. saebasan

saebasan MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Yes thanks.
    Perhaps some differants on motherboard.
    But HP technician said me a quad core like Q9000 should start on my computer, even if it will heat much than P8600, and it's not garanty.
    Anyway, the bios I have can support Q9000 on other model of HP. I absolutly sure of that, I dowloaded the one of this other model, same bios number, same zip tall, checked files inside, I even installed it on my computer... it works...

About, voltage adjustement by bios it's a good remark, but my motherboard is able to use the voltage range of T9900 which is 1.050V-1.212V, larger than the one of Q9000 which is 1.050V-1.175V.
    It's not the problem of voltage capabilities, perhaps power consuption, 45w for Q9000 instead of 35w with T9900. Effectively, as the HP technician said me, it will heat much.

That why, more than a hardware compatibility issue I wondered if makers don't put some codes inside the bios in order to check in the EEPROM which model is the computer, and to avoid to use Q9000 (by example) even if it should work "hardwarely"...

4. groovesection

groovesection MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    Basiclly MB manufacturers are way ahead of the CPU manufacturers.
    When they release a 1st revision of a MB they can only support the socket CPU`s that are already on the market.
    18 months/2 years later then the CPU`s are much faster/better
    So the MB company have to release a BIOS update to support the newer CPU`s
    So in order to get the Quadcore working you will need to update/flash the MB`s BIOS
    (assuming it supports the Quadcore`s) Your MB manufacturers site will have this info :D