Is my project worth doing, or not. Creating lots of VMs using MSDN retail keys.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by myhken, Jun 19, 2015.

1. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Then on plain VM install only KB3035583, no need for all updates, when you do not care about original OS

2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    I already have VM bios mods for every OEM SLIC I could find... LOL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I have been on this forum the past 5 years, so I know about OEM activation, how to trick the computer to think you is running a legit copy of another hardware, and/or get a higher version on a computer that you did not pay for. So fake is not the word, but still, it's not like you pay for the keys either.
    On the other hand, beside my Technet account (that now closed) I have got my MSDN Ultimate account for free, so I don't pay for the keys either ;)
    Still, they are more legit then the OEM keys when you use it on computers that it was not intended for. But heck, this is MDL, I do not judge anybody. If somebody find a way to get free Windows :clap: . I have done it my way, you do your way.

My project is dead, I see that now. Or at least if we only get OEM keys for our Retail keys. For using the same VM, using a new key, then reserve a Win10 copy. Then run slmgr -upk, reboot, then the icon is gone, then reboot, then type in a new key, the reboot, then the Win10 icon is back, but this time you can't reserve a copy. So it's tied up to the hardware yes.

So the only way my project will work, are if we gets retails keys for retail keys.

4. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanx for testing, kinda expected... unfortunately...

BTW I would have just moved the VM around to change MAC and see if it sees it as new H/W...too early to tell really.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    That works, so long as I use a unique ID on each VM, but all VM is created from the same template (VM), you get the free upgrade offer on every VM after typing in a key that you don't has been using on another upgrade offer. It's here my server and 100 VM comes in.

I make a new test on the VM already activated with one key, I took an uninstalled the KB, rebooted, removed key, rebooted, installed the KB again, type in key, then reboot, but still, no Win10 icon. So it's clearly know that you have used the free upgrade offer on that computer.
    But that can be a local file or something also.

6. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nor terms of the MSDN subscription.

7. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Maybe not. At some point GWX creates a unique ID for each computer. you need to create the VM template before GWX is run.

Uninstalling GWX does not necessarily remove all of its settings.

8. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Of course, all my templates is with a unique ID, and I have not used any key on the template, and not started GWX (since it need a key before it show it self). The refereed text you have in your thread was just another test. Just looking if you could reinstall GWX with a new key, and then make new reservation on the same VM. But you can't do that.