Is PVM7 board can't handle Win7?? please help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by catdog215, Nov 25, 2009.

1. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Hi all,

please help. maybe i did something wrong in building my pc. my bios is mod to Slic2.1. When installing Window 7 Ultimate or Vista x86, the process is very slow. it took almost 10 min to reach 1% installation. after window 7 completed the installation, the load up is very slow. it took like almost 2min (seem like) to get to the desktop. Then when i install F5D7050 Wireless G USB Network Adapter Driver, it stuck at maybe 60%.

Is my motherboard can't handle Win7 or vista? XP working very good. compare to my old laptop T40 or old desktop cpu Intel P4 2.4Ghz, it can handle win7 and it only 1.5gb memory.

Am i doing something wrong?
    motherboard: PVM7
    mod bios is now: SLIC2.1
    SLIC file: ASUS.bin
    SLP: ASUS.txt
    using default setting from AMITool

cpu Intel P4 3Ghz
    2Gb memory
    500Gb HD sata
    No over clock.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    The install lag is normal sometimes. I have this issue as well with the install from DVD. My install from a USB pen drive takes only 12 mins to be at the desktop.

The first boot of the machine will be slow. It is running a performance test. Does it boot slow all the time.

The motherboard and processor should be able to handle it unless there is some driver issues. Have you installed all the updated drivers for your computer?

3. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #3 gentoo, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    Wow i just looked at the MB drivers and the newest ones are Windows XP. You may run into some issues with this one.

I also would not go with Ultimate on this old of a computer.

4. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    #4 catdog215, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    (OP)
    agree that the MB driver only for XP when going to PVM7 site. If Ultimate is a no good for my pc, will home edition work? or i should just stick with XP?

Yes every time i turn on my computer. it took almost 2min to reach to desktop

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    That setup will run Win 7 ultimate with NO Problems.
    The Video Card will determine if you can enable Aero or not.
    I have installed Win 7 on a few older PC's very similar to yours with NO Problems at all.
    Win 7 will install most necessary drivers during the installation.

6. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    Does your old pc slow when booting from post to reach to desktop? because when comparing to my old IBM T40 laptop with only 1.5gb ram, it load faster and run faster. or maybe i should go with Win 7 Home Prem?

7. truthinjection

truthinjection MDL Member

Aug 27, 2009
    I've noticed that slow install/boot could also be due to funky partitioning on your hard disk. I have a machine that I partitioned such that it had two copies of XP, two copies of Fedora linux, and some slack space on it. Whatever it was about that machine, Win7 installer took 38 minutes to finally get to the point where I could interact with it. The installation went okay, but then the installed copy *also* booted slowly.

I nuked the partitioning and it installs/starts just fine now..

It's very odd. This isn't the first machine that's happened with, either.

The same thing happened when I installed XP to a similarly-partitioned drive, actually, too. Except there, it never came back from la-la land to let me install. Temporarily nuking the partition table (erasing it down to one partition but leaving the data intact until after the install, then putting the partition table back as originally set up) worked to install, though.

-tij-

8. rjc862003

rjc862003 MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2009
    p4 + windows 7 is bound to fail

9. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    This is absolutely false.
    Win 7 runs at least as well if not better than Xp on older P4 machines.

I would listen to truthinjections advice.
    I've never had a problem, but I also pre-partitioned those older systems with a partition manager then Installed Win 7 Ultimate on 4 different P4 PC's for friends and family.

10. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    so i need to use partition manager first then install Win 7 Ultimate?

Another question: i have 2 hard drive. i use Sata as a master and IDE as a slave. both are onboard. i set in the bios to boot first on sata hard drive and the rest of boot options are disable. every time i turn on my pc, it kept say "no os, error". then if i press restart button manually, it boot fine. or press "del" to bios setting then let it boot again, the pc boot fine.

if i remove IDE hd, it boot fine. does this mean that i should use ide hd as master instead of using sata hd as master? thx