Is someone actually using the Win10 apps?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kewkie, Jun 3, 2016.

1. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I use several apps, and find them very, very good. I use the Weather Channel, Twitter, OneDrive, and DropBox. I also use several of the installed apps as I need them. I find them convenient, easy on the eyes, and very good. The Microsoft Solitaire Collection is one of my favorites!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 4j17h

4j17h MDL Novice

May 27, 2016
    #22 4j17h, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    The one who has windows mobile really use the universal apps in win 10 as sync is supported by many windows apps between the windows devices.I use readit,appraisin,onedrive,twitter,saavn

3. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yea, I still use the quick launch too. I notice however that I get all kinds of junk piling up in there, that I never got before.

Thoughts..??

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I don't use any, but it looks like I might be forced to use the mail app soon, as MS are killing off WLMail 2012

All other clients are crappy, and I don't like outlook.com webmail / or want to have to leave a tab open all day

EDIT - Actually, one, but it's a game, Forza 6

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #25 lobo11, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Not quite.

Opera Mail is still the best email client out there, The integrated Vivaldi mail is also coming and is aimed to be as good as Opera Mail was (is).

But there are some other good clients out there PostBox to mention one.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've already had issues with live mail & have setup my wife to use Win10 Mail. Very limited in customization. Can't print calendar properly.
    I'm using Thunderbird now which is ok. Still doesn't print calendar like live mail did.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I use some of them very rarely. I like the movies and tv app b/c it can auto-crop and play most internet videos.
    Honestly there's not much I would use them for because they don't do the job better than existing free programs.
    There really isn't much reason to use them if you have to go through an extra layer of distribution to do the same thing you're already doing.

To be even competitive they'd need to add AAA games and some sort of social functionality where you could communicate with other gamers; possibly something where you could interact with steam friends and others.
    It's much different than a phone or tablet because on those you pretty much have to get your apps through the store. On PC, it's a disadvantage.
    To make it an advantage, you have to sweeten the deal. You have to have cheaper prices or better functionality or some other draw.

Until they get that advantage, it's just going to keep stammering along. It will never become trendy; for good reason.

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #30 MrMagic, Jun 4, 2016
    Tried Windows mail app a few times, starting back with 8.x, it's always been useless, it'll work fine for a few emails, and then suddenly it stops pulling them in, phone, tablet, everything else gets them, 10s mail app sits there doing nothing

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Care to explain what do you intend with browser based?:g:

Operamail is actually the whole opera 12 with the browser part disabled, it's a complete program that was once embedded in a browser and that now is offered as a standalone program.

Where's the problem? I care about how it works, and it works very well. It manages my 30000 mail messages and my 6 mailboxes better than everything else, could be plutonium based, who cares? It's still the best mail client out there.

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #32 MrMagic, Jun 4, 2016
    It's just a stripped down browser, might as well just open outlook.com with FF, it's slow, laggy like a browser is for webmail, same with thunderbird, just FF in a mail jacket, and it doesn't sync properly/at all sometimes, all browser based clients are the same, useless

I want a client that was not a browser at some point in it's life

No thanks, proper clients like WLMail that actually have some decent performance, Office Outlook is probably the next best thing, but that's a PITA too

I`ll work something out

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Come on! Why not try instead of writing sentences completely disconnected from the reality?

To make it short, I think that simply you haven an idea of what you're talking about.

What has to do an imap/pop3 client with the webmail?

Perhaps one of the many things that makes Operamail better than anything else is its speed

Test it, possibly for a day or two, not just 5 minutes and then, argue.

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Mate, I've tried it, no better than Thunderbird which is also horrendous, that's why I said All other clients are crap, I wouldn't make that statement if I hadn't tried them

Disconnected from reality?

I know what I want in a mail client, WLMail provides it, crappy browser has-beens are not what I am looking for

Don't act like I just sh1t on your mothers foot, why take offence when someone bad mouths a piece of software you had no part in creating?

They're crap, end of.

14. Studio384

Studio384 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2015
    I use plenty

Microsoft Edge and Groove are almost always open. Mail, Cortana, Calendar, OneDrive, Messaging, Skype, Feedback Hub, OneNote, Excel, Weather, News and People are opened more then once a day.

Most of the "once a day" apps I have are third party apps like WindowsCentral, games, other Office apps, etc.

And then there are apps I use on an irregular base like myTube, Money, etc.

And I'm looking forward to the UWP version of CodeWriter to move parts of my development needs to that app too.

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #36 T-S, Jun 4, 2016

Sure. You are writing things that aren't true, and even in were true were not relevant.

First: opera was for 20 years the best and fastest browser out there, and by some extent still is, the antimatter of a crappy browser.

Second: M2 (the client that was integrated with opera) was not a browser and is not a browser. It just uses the same presto engine to show the html inside the emails (which is what any email client does) outlook express and his son windows mail, and his nephew windows live mail, use the IE engine, thunderbird use the same engine used by FF and so on.

Again, where's the problem on that?

You wish they had a duplicated engine just to waste some space on your HDD?

First: you have no idea about who I worked with, and about what I worked to.

Second: I don't care at all about the above, I just gave you a suggestion and you replied with random sentences that had nothing to do with the argument discussed.

Judge a program looking to what it does, looking to how fast it is, arguing if it lacks a needed feature, not about what's (you guess) there is under the hood. Sounds that odd to you doing so?

16. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #37 MrMagic, Jun 4, 2016
    First: you have no idea about who I worked with, and about what I worked to.

Half of that sentence doesn't even make sense, and more to the point, you also have no idea just how many times I have tried those crappy clients, if you can call them that, so take your own advice on guess work

Basically buddy, you have shown your lack of experience, and lack of self-control, crying when someone on the internet doesn't worship the same crap that you do, when it is obviously sub-par

When someone states they have tried, and does not like something, you say "Ok, well good luck", not "WAAAAAAAA, you have to like it, itz 'da bestest evaaaa"

Gonna iggy you now, don't have time for fools and their ridiculous views, or claims that they made the Opera Mail client, no matter how subtle, you didn't. (And if you did, I wouldn't be boasting on the net about something like that, it's an embarrassing failure)

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I have a clear idea... zero times. according to what you're writing.

I have yet to see a single serious argument.

Something like "thinderbird does too much hdd traffic", "operamail lacks that feature I need" and so on.

Come on... that's a technique as old as first internet troll: "when there aren't enough arguments about the topic, just go personal".

Not really a great behavior...

Anyway use whatever you want. I heard that there are some email client that don't use an html engine, they are based on vacuum cleaners and blenders engine. Likely they will be satisfying for you. :D

18. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I find it amusing that people still feel the need to reply to someone who has just told them, they've put them on iggy, for no other reason than to make themselves feel better for having the last word

Even though I have not, and will not read the reply :D lol

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You had clearly a bad day.

It happens sometimes

Get relaxed, and have a nice day.