Is someone actually using the Win10 apps?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kewkie, Jun 3, 2016.

1. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  2. MartinicoBreton

MartinicoBreton MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2014
    -Microsoft Edge
    -Weather
    -Mail and Calendar
    -Groove Music
    -SNCF (Very good Universal App. SNCF is french train compagny. I use this App to follow train and Subway traffic in Paris)

3. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    have you set the sync settings to 'as items arrive' in the mail apps settings,manage accounts,the account,change mail sync settings?

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea, like I say, it works for a while the way it should, then it goes for either hours or sometimes days without pulling in emails as they arrive, I can send them to myself as a test, my phone gets them, my tablet gets them, everything get them, but the mail app plays dumb, been the same since 8.x mail app

Apps are not for desktops, they are weak and buggy and should have been left for mobile devices, to play angry birds with, not for serious use

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Apps on desktop? I do not think so. W10 with all crap removed (inc all possible apps) is OK. Even on tablet the only things used are Chrome & VLC (and Minions)

No idea how anybody came up with idea of Apps where mostly they do not actually work

Windows ain't iOS, it never will be

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Weather seems fine, but the others seem a lot like a solution looking for a problem. For me, mail is confusing and useless, Edge is just plain useless and MS saying it now has add-ons is just playing catch-up with Firefox and Chrome. For music I've grown accustom to iTunes and I like it.

Excepting the weather app, most of those I've tried have an unfinished feel. It's as if Microsoft rushed to get something out there even if it were flawed and incomplete. I think that position is justified given all the "polishing" the Windows 10 anniversary update is supposed to do.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It's like they saw phone app stores and thought:
    "Man those are successful. We should do what those are doing."

It doesn't seem any deeper than that. There's little point using them if you don't have to.
    The only things that store apps seem to do better is dpi scaling and those could easily be introduced in an API

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Apps works for me on desktop. They are easier to upgrade and don't usually need installer when doing that. I think it is a brilliant idea to have them in Windows 10.

9. werwaok

werwaok MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2013
    I don't use those "modern" apps, probably because I'm too old :D
    I still use MPC for movies, and would have been still using Winamp, but recently I got free Tidal premium.
    Even back in XP days of greatness I didn't like the built-in photo viewer, felt too "shiny", and I used and still use IrfanView.
    So I guess, old-timers like us, do not like changes.
    But I do know that many people who never used a PC before (only iPhone or rarely a Chromebook) find Windows 10, and its apps very pleasant.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

People too old for the kindergarten are also too old for the modern apps :D

11. raduque

raduque MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2016
    I use Edge exclusively now, Mail, Weather, Calendar, Calculator, Forza and Quantum Break, and on my tablet, I play some of the freemium games. UWP programs are, in general, far and away more touch friendly than anything else released on Windows.

12. Alberto_C

Alberto_C MDL Junior Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I don't use them !

13. 4j17h

4j17h MDL Novice

May 27, 2016
    W10 is the universal platform where you can run the same apps in multiple devices pc,mobile,holo lens,iot etc., isn't this great idea? One app which works in all the win10 devices.If you are not interested in using win10 apps it doesn't mean that it doesn't work fine for others or it is a bad idea.
    Yes we never want ios to be WINDOWS.Win10 is what it is.It's a great developing platform mainly for mobile,you can just compare the results from win8.1 to win10 how it is developed.Yes I agree that its lags in terms of apps but my opinion is windows has all the apps I need.yes some need clash of clans,snapchat etc., I'm really not interested in it

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Even the wording is hideous.

Calling "sideload" the normal way to install a program on MY device, gives you the clear idea that MS want his users to become a mass of paying idiots, able just to push a button and nothing more.

That's because they are trying to ape what Apple does since a decade,since Adolf bin Jobs launched the remote control for his users called iPhone.

Fighting all this is not a technical choice it's a civil battle, and also a technical choice.

15. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I have tried to use a few "apps" but most of them are simply horrible. And I don't really blame the developers, as I have yet to find any UWP app that is not rather sluggish.

One thing that is really horrible with using UWP-apps is that you can't control the audio using the Windows Volume Mixer. This is a huge oversight by Microsoft. As one who use a external-DAC, I need to manually adjust volume using the mixer all the tame and having the UWP-apps not registering in the mixer is horrible. Not to mention that most UWP-apps tends to reset their volume settings each and every time I re-open the damn apps...

I have a lot of apps installed:

- Twitter
    - Plex
    - Plex for Windows 10 BETA
    - Twit.TV
    - Facebook BETA
    - TV2 Sumo
    - Unstream
    - Wunderlist
    - Xbox Accessories
    - Netflix
    - TeamViewer
    - Messenger
    - Audiobooks from Audible
    - Remote Desktop

Of all the apps, the only ones that I actually use are the video apps. Simply because I hate to watch in the web-browser. It's much better with a app that uses less resources (no flash..) that I can re-scale to whatever size I'd want (I'm looking at you YouTube..).

None of them are anything special, but the resizing makes them more useful than their web-counterparts. They suddenly vanishes (closes) at random and whatnot..

Most of them have apps on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, and those versions tends to be ten times better...

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Is actually worse. Windows is trying to become an Iphone.

17. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    useless for me

18. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    The problem is still the same as it was in windows 8. As long as UAC is alpha quality requiring UAC is a no-go.

1. Programs can't create files and registry keys in virtualstore, only copy existing ones.
    2. Redirected files and keys aren't redirected when manually accessed, no error messages shown if you edit the wrong file/key
    3. Can't access system services like regsvr32 from batch files without manually opening an admin cp first. (Right click, run as admin does not work.)
    4. Can't edit files in protected areas by double clicking and then saving. Copy to desktop, edit, copy back is incredibly stupid.

Until these are solved, keeping UAC on is impossible for me, which means no access to any "apps", even if I wanted to.