Is someone actually using the Win10 apps?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kewkie, Jun 3, 2016.

1. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #61 PhaseDoubt, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    [FONT=&amp]The way I see it, apps are shallow, limited and purpose built. If you want Weather, click the weather app and you can instantly tell if it’s raining in your area, or if it’s hot or freezing cold or whatever. If you want to check you mail, open the mail app. But sometimes, most of the time, I need greater complexity and its accompanying power and usefulness.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It’s sort of like Calculator vs. Excel. A calculator does sums, square roots and so forth: enter the data; get an answer. But if I want to do in-depth financial analysis or some sort of “what if” scenario, I need Excel. Same for Word vs a note taking app. You just can’t compose a complicated business letter or very personal letter to your mom on a note app.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If your world is keyed to quick answers for uncomplicated situations, then a quick answer from an app may be fine for you. But my world is just not that simplistic. One of the main reasons I use a computer, as opposed to a smart phone, is because my world requires raw computing power and not just the list-making ability of a shallow, limited and purpose built app.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]As is the usual case, your mileage may vary.[/FONT]

2. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    i use them all the time they keep me from my web browser and ground me to the desktop plus the games are good enough a real time saver

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I love apps!

I use a lot of apps like weather, money, news, Facebook and bunch of games :D

4. jadinolf

jadinolf MDL Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Don't use them here either.

Wish they didn't force them on us.:(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  6. korbs

korbs MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2016
    As for the calculator,
    I'm concerned - is the Calculator App the only one we have to live with on W10?
    I'm puzzled.

7. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #67 Nucleus, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017