Is The Release Preview better Than Consumer Preview?????

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by slyfox32, Jun 3, 2012.

?

Is Release Preview better than Consumer Preview and worth Upgrading?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2012.
  1. Install Release prievew

104 vote(s)
    92.0%
  2. Stay at Consumer preview

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. slyfox32

slyfox32 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2012
    I've been using the consumer preview since its been released. I've had only a few bugs when first installed but none now.Its very stable.What im wondering is if the Release preview better than the consumer preview?If the things it has is worth the change at this point and time?id hate to change if its worse or no better When I have this one running so good.
    can I get opinions and vote if possible .thank you..:confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    RP OK for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    Also for me

4. jygoro

jygoro MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2011
    RP feels more polished and fast. Also they finally fixed my sound bug I had since windows 7 so yeah, at least in my PC RP is way better than CP.

5. Derson

Derson MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    I don't know...I don't know. Fast, good for battery live...and a few crashes with some portable application.

6. speechless

speechless MDL Novice

May 6, 2011
    must be called windows 8 bugy preview consumer was better for me

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Windows 8 Release Preview is worth upgrading. It is stable, fast, get better driver/soft/metro application support and better connected experience.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. slyfox32

slyfox32 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2012
    It seems that the thing to do is to install RP according to the poll.I should have added one more thing in the poll.X64 or X86?
    @Maxrim Taim, why not a laptop?
    I have a laptop,HP Dv9910us, I installed the CP X64 version since the laptop is a x64 laptop.The problem i ran into is I couldn't modify any subfolders under windows.Even though i was the admin.So i installed X86 and have had not one problem.The Screen before log in, had a black bar that ran across the picture.I changed the pic then changed back and it went away.Thats it..Is the problem of not being able to modify files still there in X64 ?? What about codec packs on x64? do they install?

9. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012

My laptop has more than enough memory and a fast enough processor, so I really don't think I would benefit much from installing W8 on it. If Metro UI could be disabled I would say yes, but otherwise it will remain a Vista/W7 dual boot.

I am running the Release Preview on it though, but in Virtual Machine. ;)

And as I mentioned earlier, my old Desktop PC (from 2007) has only 1GB of RAM, so that old thing would probably run better with Windows 8. But I haven't installed the Release Preview on it, to save myself the trouble of having to remove it later on. Removing a virtual machine is much easier.

10. slyfox32

slyfox32 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2012
    I should have added to the Poll. GO BACK TO WINDOWS 7. Just to see what the results would be.:rolleyes:

11. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Working well here , one install on an Acer tablet and one on a spare PC!

12. slyfox32

slyfox32 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2012
    Ok,, I'm updating to RP X64.. I'm doing a complete install..I will be very upset if i cant have complete admin rights in the windows folder unlike last time under X64.I really like tweaking a few things.I want to keep this open so ppl can make the decision by the result of the POLL.
    I would like to thank the ppl that gave their input and POLLED.i wonder how high it will go.

13. nash211

nash211 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2011
    I went back to consumer RP was freezing all the time on my laptop.

14. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Without reading the admittedly few replies in this thread, I say that yes it is better overall than the CP. Mainly because it seems to be much more stable on my Lenovo T400 with 8GB of RAM.

It still has at least one quirk from the CP, and several other new ones.

1. Already in CP I've had problems that when I type fast (haven't kept track of exactly what reproduces the problem), the cursor either disappears totally from the window I'm currently in (usually Firefox), but even if the cursor remains, either way suddenly typing results in no text being added to whatever field I'm in. Usually in a forum post. Alt-tabbing to the next window and then alt-tabbing back has been my quickest way found to recover.

I haven't installed much in my current installation of Windows 8 RP x64, so I don't expect any of this is caused by third-party software, conflicts, or anything else besides the RP:

2. Right-clicking an ISO file, there is NO menu option for burning or mounting it. Choosing Open With, and then Windows Explorer seems to be a workaround for mounting. The only way I get ISOBurn to work is from command line. As an aside, after an ISO is mounted, Windows Explorer's Disk Image tools (or whatever they call the ribbon option with an ISO mounted) should include a Burn option, to burn the ISO.

3. I had a reproduceable quirk with the Snipping Tool today. With the first error dialog I was having with running the Setup for Windows Server 2012 RC from within Windows 8 RP x64, the Snipping Tool refused to work except in full-screen snip mode. The second error dialog (after hitting OK on the first) I could snip normally, i.e. in window mode.

4. MS Paint (yes I use that for very simple things only) worked fine except if I resized the program window manually by dragging the left corner up, the entire picture became a blank, white, and there was some kind of distorted version of the actual picture (it appeared to be) taking up the rest of the space, from below the program window to the bottom of the screen where the program window USED to be.

15. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Running X64 on VMware, at least it is in my own language...

16. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Windows Release P review could better than Consumer Preview but not here,not for me.The reason? While MS does not want to make a video driver to be fully compatible with my Dell Inspiron laptop I cannot test this Windows in normal environment only just Basic Display Adapter...

17. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I voted yes, but RP is buggier than CP, more faster and 100 mb less ram usability than CP, the programs do not work on CP, neither on RP, classic shell do no load at start-up every time.....(has to be updated)

BTW man, the problem is that Intel has to release a working driver, not Microsoft, and if is not available these days, maybe Intel do not trust Metro experience?
    A lot of developers do, me either....
    Wait a few more days, otherwise you have to Upgrade to Windows 7:D:D

18. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    For me, WRP is better than WCP for Many Reasons like its Faster, More Stable, Many & Old Drivers Avilibile, Less Bugs than WCP, and WRP Tweaked Well so it's not Eating Memory or Slowdown the Machine, "Copy & Paste" Becme Faster, Start UP & Shutdown" is Really Fast than WCP, WRP Respond Faster with "End Task" order @ "Task Manager". and about 85% of Metro Apps Stable Compared with WCP and The Great Thing is "Installing W8RP Taking no Time" Compared With WCP or Even W7 and many new things added or Fixed or Changed.

Finally My Rate is:
    WRP: 8/10
    WCP: 5.5/10

I Think Im Fair Judge :rolleyes::biggrin:

19. slyfox30

slyfox30 MDL Member

Mar 8, 2012
    #20 slyfox30, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    Ok,The reason Im logging in on a old account that I lost my password to is because the RP have messed up my gmail and chrome login.So im back on a old email.I had a really hard time installing the RP..just wanted to update the ppl on what I had to go threw.:mad: I first tried to use a downloaded X64 RP from Microsoft.I tried to install it by booting into dvd.At the setup menu it said that I was missing a media driver and to install it then press ok.No such luck.So I decided to reinstall win7 X64.it wouldn't let me getting stuck at setup.i then put a X86 win 7 disk in and got to the delete partitions.In otherwords empty drive.Still wouldn't install win 7 or X64 win 8RP.I booted into herin boot cd.It showed a partition called X boot. I then ran acronis boot cd and reinstalled a X64 image of win 7 But that took twice.and once installed some of the windows stuff wouldn't work like windows update.At this point im pissed.I downloaded the X86 version of win 8RP.Installed no problem.Some difrences between consumer preview and the Release preview.To start off with in the RP it didn't install all of my drivers like the CP version did.I still cant install these two mysterious drivers.Also the IE in forums and typing suck as it wont do what I want.Its also noticeably slower for me than the CP.now that I have it setup it has some bugs but its just like CP but slower and for me more bugs.I have no idea how im going to be able to go back to win7 X64 without doing a complete format or replace the dam hard drive.So, IMO the RP sucks compared to CP.