Is there a fix for the obviously broken start menu search yet?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by TimmyP, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
  2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Try to make another adminstrative account and, from there, delete

C:\Users\{affected-username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I wouldn't waste more than ½ hour at most getting something to work since you can reinstall in 20 minutes. If you want the search to be more comprehensive then you can click the start menu button, and type in search options. From there you can customize what is searched all you want. I have checked everything. It takes a bit to build the database, but after that you can search for any file you want from the search menu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Less than 2 minutes to install classic shell and throw the crap stock menu in the bitbucket.

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    The default menu ROCKS IMHO! I never did like classic shell or the awful Windows 7 start menu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Good for you.

I was using classic shell even on win7 (and in the couple of days I used vista) there isn't anything more handy and customizzable.

Who don't like it has never opened its settings, nor have idea about what can do.

7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I don't like it because it doesn't have live tiles, and it has those menus that expand. I just feel that the new start menu is a wonderful piece of software design, and it is one of the best things about Windows 10. Perhaps if you do not like the default Windows 10 start menu, it is because you also have no idea about what it can do! :D

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I don't have any tile to show my windows is metro free, and just in case you can use the stock menu by an alternate command, say win key, the shortcut provided by classic shell, middle button or whatever you like.

Aside the fact that when I installed it for the first time was purposely to have the cascading menus instead of that ugly scrolling one, that's not true, cascading menus are AN OPTION, an option turned off by default, for the record.

Wasting my time is one, hurting my privacy is another, there's something more ? :D

9. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    That worked.

10. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #30 c6p0, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    I have tried many things without success before reading your post

I did rename UsrClass.dat to UsrClass.da_

At login with {affected-username}, Windows recreate it,