Is There a List of Reasons to NOT use Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by November_Zulu, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. November_Zulu

November_Zulu MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    I'm on Bleeping Computer now in a thread where the sycophants and toadies for Microsoft are extolling the virtues of Win10 and I just don't feel like going on a rant atm. Is there a pre-made list of reasons to avoid Win10?

Software-as-a-service being one of them. Telemetry, keylogging, questions of who owns User content and what rights the may not have, the ability of the O/S to search for uninstall "illegal" software, the ability of the O/S to search if it's been cracked or hacked and do a New Install in response/retaliation.

These are some things I read on this forum over a year ago. I assume most of them, if not all, are true. Wondering if anyone here ever made a comprehensive list, preferably prioritized so a person in my situation could simply paste it into a thread and make all these dootchbags stfu. Help?

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @November_Zulu: Seems to me that you've already made a good start on that list. Although I have to say that the folks at MDL have done great things to mitigate most of the issues in Windows 10.

In my mind, they (Microsoft) eroded the trust of their customer base. Which is why I will not use it unless I'm forced to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Member

Sep 22, 2012
    If one believes MS is doing something that violates that person's personal morals, well, they don't need to use it.

4. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @S_SubZero: Exactly. Use it if you feel comfortable with it. But if you decide to, then read as many of the threads around here as you can. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have they with Windows 10? Isn't it that with Windows 10 Microsoft the first time gave much more information about what they're really had done with their systems as ever before?
    Unlike Apple, MS didn't sue's it's user in any possible way! Some time ago I'd read some article, explaining that Apple is suing it's (private!) customers double than Microsoft ever did, not by % (percentage) by numbers, which means by % hundreds of times!
    If MS really 'eroded' the trust of their customers that much, as you wrote, MS wouldn't be as successful as it still is!

6. November_Zulu

Jul 21, 2015
    Okay good conversation and everything but er- um how about a list? You know, something that starts off with "1" and ends maybe somewhere around "10". Preferably in order.

I'm going to take a guess and say no, no one ever bothered to actually make a list for laypeople to read so that they can get a fast and easy look at all the various reasons not to use Win10. Just seems to natural to me. I actually did a search for such a list on Google and they were all stupid reasons like "driver support" and "lost of updates" and "working out the bugs" and "always best to wait a while before jumping in" and all those stupid, "consumer" driven corporate retard reasons. So I'm walking around in the world with the knowledge that I've learned here and no were else about Win10. It all came from here. You folks really DO know the dark side of Win10, to include software as a service. Example one thing I read here compared Win10's SAAS to when Facebook claimed that according to their ToS, FB had a right to use User-uploaded content in their local advertisements, meaning that your kid's birthday party is used to sell shoes or whatever FB could sell it's use for.

Idea is that Win10 makes your computer THEIR TERMINAL, and they own the data on their terminal. Then the discussion went off on tangents such as how FB had to back down, but MS could still make the claim, and possibly execute their "rights". Point is no one knows who and what MS really is. All these pollyanna corporate types who've been promoted for their willingness to believe whatever their told to believe, I guess I kind of look to you folks to, well, if you can't "set them straight" at least publish a brief list so that at least they have a chance.

Because CNet's not going to do it. Bleeping Computer won't do it. ArsTechnica won't do it. There's no "big name" technical erm.. "website" slash "media outlet" or "authoritative source" that is going to tell these proletarian retards the truth.

Don't you think someone should? I nominate you.

7. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    the only real reason for me to avoid Windows 10 is only if you are using really old hardware.

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    There's a list here but the bloke hasn't numbere
    Why should they? The review site's get all the latest gear to play with so why would they bother trying to install Win7 on their Optane/NVMe rigs?
    Windows 10 is nearly 2 years old - bit late to be doing lists.
    There's plenty of sites publishing/reporting bugs & issues.
    You've started a list in post #1 but haven't numbered them as you want someone else to do it...

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Agreed not realy use full and defently too late and been done many times here !

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Aren't there enough old threads with the same content?

11. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Or really new. My Ryzen system performs worse in older OS's. Reverse it true for my Phenom/Athlon systems.

12. November_Zulu

Jul 21, 2015
    You are missing the whole point of the thread. I'm asking people who know enough about how to do it right, to create a prioritized list of "What's wrong with Windows 10" in order what would be most significant to the average User, from the perspective of the people on this forum, that know all of these details better than anyone.

You pointing to a big pile of stuff and saying, "It's all in there, somewhere. Go dig around for a couple of weeks and you'll find it all.". I'm saying YOU go dig through that stuff, pick out the 10 or 20 most important parts and put them into a list so that others can derive the benefit of this forum's collective knowledge, quickly and easily. Also because I'm tired of reading Bleeping Computer Staff pretending not to know all this stuff and posting like Win10 is just an incremental upgrade from Win8, when we all (here) know that Win10 is a radical change from all previous Operating Systems.

Average people still do not know this. You do. I'd like them to know at least some of what you know.

Is the point of this thread.

13. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    This is the only reason I can think of. Windows 10 works very well for me.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #15 Joe C, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  15. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Hmm, this actually sounds reasonable to me. But if you really mean it, please update post #1 with all the info you're collecting (only "serious" info please, not pointless complaining).

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Atari800XL: That's my thinking as well.

There are things that MS already fixed that many users do not know about. And there are ways to fix the rest of the problems to the point of usability.
    IMHO, that would be a valuable contribution to the entire world, not to mention the benefits to novices who come here knowing very little or nothing about Windows 10.

There's been a lot of bad hype associated with Windows 10. Establishing MDL as a place of truth about 10 will only strengthen us as a community.

FWIW :dunno:

17. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Every time I see the UAC prompt appear in Windows 10, it makes me want to puke. It is truly hideous. How's that for a reason?

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's not a fact nor a reason not to use win 10 that's your personal opinion and you can shut it down, for most normal users it's an extra step for caution.

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Sadly, most, if not all, threads of this content end up in pointless complaints and personal opinions.