Is There a List of Reasons to NOT use Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by November_Zulu, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    No alot of reasons to use Win10 unless the applications you use want it as a minimal requirement specifically, or feature(s) you need is only available in 10, logically.

For all the security paranoia that depends how far each person goes. I'm happy by removing loads of components and features i'll never use in hope MS won't start my car's engine when there's non to begin with, also helps downsizing so two birds one stone. Afterall, even nvidia is putting telemetry in their drivers so disable it or don't ever use it.

2. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    maybe the topic needs clarification such as which version and default unadulterated installation - because most of the reasons of not using Windows 10 have a solution here on MDL.

although I have a lot of reasons to dislike and not use Windows 10, there are some features that are useful and better than previous versions.
    I use a heavily customized LTSB 2016 and never looked back at Windows 7 which was my preferred OS since its beta days.

3. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    #24 RobertJ, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    If you truly want to be taken seriously then get a lawyer to interpret the EULA for you instead of reading what some crackpot tinfoil hatter on the net vomits out. If anyone thinks MS (or any OS maker) can actually lay claim to your personal data stored locally on your hard disk, I'd like to know what they're smoking! Them having the ability to access (in response to NSLs) what you store on their cloud is very different from them having the ability to simply go through your locally stored data. I can assure you that they would have been sued to hell and back by now by the EFF, EU etc. if they had been so stupid as to pull such a stunt. Whatever you might think of MS, even they are not so dumb.

Personally I fail to understand the point of any such list-type threads - be it pro or anti. People who decide whether to use an OS simply on the basis of what "some guy" writes on the net in some forum thread need to have their heads examined. In any case if you're talking of the 'average' Joe/Jane who is technically clueless and simply uses whatever OS is pre-installed (often not even knowing what an OS is, or what OS they're using), any such info. is just going to fly far above their heads. IMO one should just use whatever one wants and let others do the same, and stop trying to force one's choices down other people's throats. Those who are interested to know more about what OS they're running are in any case not 'average' users and presumably have the ability to judge the pros and cons on their own (not to mention all the info. already available on the net that even a casual search will turn up).

P.S. I'm curious - how much zeal have you shown to make similar threads about say Google or Facebook or what have you, and what sort of difference has it made in terms of getting "proletarian retards" (great job there abusing the people you're supposedly trying to educate) to stop using these companies' products?

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    The "Average User" doesn't care & probably just accepts Windows 10 as is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. November_Zulu

November_Zulu MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
  6. November_Zulu

Jul 21, 2015
    Disagree. The Average User doesn't know enough to "not care". "Not caring" implies that you know something but don't care about it. What's your feeling on this thing to the right of my elbow on my desk right here?

Would you characterize your general feeling as:

A) Care
    B) Don't Care
    C) Don't Know

You can't "not care" about something you are completely oblivious to. Well. It's a matter of semantics. In my definition, the User is at least somewhat informed, and decides they don't care.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The normal user is the average joeblow, he/she starts up the system, checks his/her email, plays some music/video/photo's, maybe does some online banking, uses word or excell, prints something, browses the internet and shut's down the system ;)

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Normally i don't bother to read these epic posts but now i tried it.

Lovely how you react on people replying with their input, also have to love words used like "retard".

Why do i get the idea you have a list ready, so just publish it and wtf has the universe to with it?

Most people buy a pc or a laptop and just use the bugger, whatever windows is on it.

9. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Sounds like it's 2006 or 2005 all over again, where folks were telling me to panic about trusted computing/TCPA/TCG...
    Additionally, the RIAA and MPAA don't mean squat to software...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. YukinoAi

YukinoAi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2015
    Most of that the reasons not to use Win10 are based on ideological grounds, saying the OS just has too much or "undesirable" functionality. There are very rarely functionality limitations given enough time tweaking/breaking things until they work as desired, but here is one thing it just can't do.

Windows 7 was the last version of the OS that had "classic" theme support which fully supported black/red explorer windows. After removing classic theme support, MS replaced it with a "high contrast" mode for accessibility reasons starting in Win8, and continued the same model with Win10. Just one problem: Black windows explorer windows are not black. They actually flash the entire screen white! when starting up. This has a "strobing" effect and physically hurts my eyes. Because of that, feeling physically assaulted by the OS.

Win7 will be the last Windows OS I ever use. Win 10 just does not support black/red accessibility themes properly.

11. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Tested only in 15063.413 for now but got it. The content area i.e. left and right navigation pane backgrounds appear white for a split second before they are recolored black. I can see how that would be annoying. Will have to see if the new filters help. Meanwhile have you posted feedback about this already so we can upvote?

12. YukinoAi

YukinoAi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2015
    I do not know what this "posting feedback" and "upvoting" is a reference to. So no. Where-how-what are you referring to with the above sentence?

13. November_Zulu

Jul 21, 2015
    So anyways, back to the list.

What's the #1 thing you think everyone should know about, before making the decision whether or not to "upgrade" or install Windows 10?

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    To answer your question, IMHO they should know whether their hardware supports Windows 10. If you own a piece of hardware and it's not compatible, the entire upgrade will be a waste of time.

EDIT by ancestor(v):
    removed OT

15. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    i use windows 10 because for the first time i have a genuine / licensed windows operating system on all my computers.

i do not need no loader / toolkit etc. to activate windows no more. i just do a clean install, no key needed, i go online & voila windows is activated.

what i detest abut windows 10 :

bloatware ( i do not want candy crush etc.)

cortana ( i do not need mommy to find me a burger king )

edge ( a mashup of chrome + firefox + internet explorer whipped up in a hurry )

gaming ( absolutely totally unnecessary forced feature )

mail ( useless since the first version of windows 10 & is still useless )

one drive ( the first thing i remove after a clean install )

photos ( windows photo viewer needed no replacement )

updates ( after a clean install your computer speed is paralyzed till windows updates are through )

videos ( windows media player needs no replacement )

so much for now. have an awesome weekend.

16. November_Zulu

Jul 21, 2015
    Here's the best part. I was thinking of YOU when that little burstlet of text hit me. Figured you'd appreciate it.

Most common are Win7 or Win8 machines demanding upgrade. 2nd most common are new builds or total formats where the User is thinking about just starting of with Win10. I'm trying to talk people out of it. But seriously these Mods there are either really clueless about the larger privacy issues, or they are pretending to be. At least one of the Mods is quite proud of the fact that he runs 100% Linux, no virtual box, no cheating, pure Linux 24/7. So he's red-pilled, but I've noticed that those that know things tend to keep quiet and I wonder what kind of coercive pressure MS exerts to keep it's MS certified Techs in political alignment.

17. November_Zulu

Jul 21, 2015