Is there a way to prevent Bitlocker password prompt when switching GPUs

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, May 8, 2017.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I have a laptop with both the Intel and nVIDIA GPUs. If I enable Bitlocker and reboot after a GPU switch which is done by a button on the side, Bitlocker prompts me for my password again since it thinks now I have new hardware. This is getting tiring, can I have it not prompt me for a new password upon detection of a hardware change?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    You can 'suspend' bitlocker and it doesn't ask for a password for the next boot?

Powershell:
    Suspend-BitLocker C:
    Suspend-BitLocker C: 10 (suspend for next 10 reboots)

Cmd:
    manage-bde -protectors -disable C:

Or you could go buy a Yubikey Neo or Yubikey 4 (standard), configure the device with a 'static' password and press the button on the key to make it type the password for you :)

3. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks a lot man

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Another thing is to enable Bitlocker not to ask for password on the system from both GPUs(in Intel and in Nvidia).

5. ZoltanS

ZoltanS MDL Novice

May 12, 2017
    So how do you enable the BitLocker not to ask for password from the GPU's?

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I mean when you switch to both GPUs make sure you tick the box in 'automatically unlock on this PC' under 'More Option' . Whenever you are now switching GPU it will recognize it.