Is there a way to transfer Win8 Key from OEM laptop to DIY PC?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by keplenk, Mar 12, 2013.

1. keplenk

keplenk MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2011
    Hey Guys.

In our office, we got a bunch of Windows 8 laptops/Desktops (Lenovo - T430s) but we don't use the license. We only use Win 7.

Is there a way for me to use OEM serial keys from those machines to other machines? IBM Desktops or Self Built PCs or other non IBM laptops?

Thanks!

2. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    that sounds illegal.. maybe,i think as long as they are used within your working environment,because after all,they did purchase the laptops/desktops with win8 with licenses. just ask your boss for a key :)

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 8 uses OA3.0 for OEM Licenses and that means that the Product Key is located in the BIOS of the Laptop/PC. Those Product Key's are are bound to that machine. Maybe you could transfer from one machine to an other same Brand/Model machine but sure! I afraid that isn't possible and it's against the EULA. Those are clear OEM Licenses and not MS Licenses even if those license was sold from MS to the OEM.

Also, those key's are limited to the license/version the machine came with, in most cases, single language and even Core!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. keplenk

keplenk MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2011
    Actually, Illegal as it may seem but my boss is the one inquiring about it :D and we are just really wasting those keys. As a matter of fact, once a new laptop/desktop with windows 8 comes in, we load our image right away (we don't even boot to it even once, lol).

We have a corporate Windows 8 License but we only bought 500 ... now, taking that is illegal since the company purchased it. Although technically, the OEM licenses are also purchased by the company - but I have a go signal for that.

I'm just talking about the one that came with the laptop which we don't use at all - it just goes to waste.

@Pisthai,

Thanks for the explanation. I guess that answered my questions :D

Too bad I missed the $15 upgrade promo :(

5. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    Than you/in-charge who dose the ordering/indent must look for Non-OS version of the laptop, which must be cheaper by some $40-$60, and you wont waste these license,if you insist and if just for personal use, you may have a try with the key, until MS decides otherwise.

6. Wrench

Wrench MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2011
    I was wondering the same, thx for the clarification.

7. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    you would still have to have licenses for XP/7 to load on those laptops, this is how microsoft does so well as you are paying for a license twice and also to an extent how microsoft forces its operating systems upon users.

unfortunately if you read that little slip of paper with EULA on it (i know its all small text and boring as hell) you will see that it says the licence is for that PC only... as stated activation of each key might work cross laptop (so long as the hardware config is similar) but theres not really a "legal" way of ripping the key and using it anywhere else.

I regularly image/install front office PC's for a well known hotel brand in the UK, they are still using XP but i have to activate by phone every time as the key used in the image is not meant for the PC its installed, and if there is no windows XP key... im screwed.