Is there an *easy* or *easier* way to embed unknown drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Myrrh, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I have a little no-name x86 tablet that came with "Windows 8.1 with Bing" and I install Windows 10 on it from a USB stick with keyboard and mouse attached during the install because Windows 10 doesn't include drivers for its touchscreen and many other hardware features.

The device-specific drivers don't seem to be available from the manufacturer, but since they are all working in Windows 8.1, I got the bright idea to grab a copy of "DriverStore" from the 8.1 install and put that on my USB stick also. I've found that once Windows is running, I can right-click the unknown devices one by one and point it to DriverStore (scan subfolders) to install the software. This is tedious to say the least.

My question is: can I take the content from that DriverStore folder and integrate it somehow into my usb stick, so that Windows will automatically search it for those unknown devices during initial setup?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Not sure about integrating, but Windows 10 has a new feature, where if you fully reset it, it doesn't remove the drivers, so you can upgrade, reset, and not have to mess around installing drivers again, same if you upgrade and tell it to "Keep Nothing", drivers remain installed

3. The_Spider

The_Spider MDL Member

Aug 23, 2009
    The command 'pnputil' may be a good place to start looking to discover what driver it is using. (But your gonna have to do that on the Win 8 machine.

4. TJankes

TJankes MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2015
    Try IOBIT DRIVER BOOSTER ( is FREE ), he show you what you have on board, and probably help you update drivers.

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    That's the way I use since vista. And it's tedious just if you are on HDD. On SSD it's just matter of seconds to grab all the unknown drivers from an older installation.

Anyway you can just search for the right subfolder an then copy it on a safe place for a future usage.

6. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #6 Don, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    What happens if you just copy driverstore into your win10 windows directory and reboot? Although don't overwrite what's there as they may be newer drivers.

7. xuleca

xuleca MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    You can test www_.drivethelife.com it's free too

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Alternatively, if you can boot Linux on that tablet, lspci and lsusb are good at telling you your hardware too (I'd trust that far more than some of these other programs, but that's just me).

9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Ever try backing up the drivers using Double Driver :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    ...how many driver management programs exist? :p

11. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #11 Bezalel, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Wintoolkit will help you integrate drivers in your compilation, if i remember, if you backup your existing drivers there will be a problem usually it take *.inf *.cat files etc ... to reinstall them ???

But i've heard with Genius Driver Backup or something like this it will take registry entries and other iinfos to correctly put them back ???

13. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    #13 luky, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    it create a file text named xxxxxx-UEFI.txt script no prob here ????

Personally i hate dism commands i don't understand thoses, and use simpler / other tools

15. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    1) f**k all other posts, especially the one with tools. [pnputil is an exception]

2) Export Drivers from Win8.1 install with dism /online /export-drivers
    (destination parameter is missing as I'm using w7 and don't know the right command /destination:X:\ or something.)

3) Import the drivers with dism: dism /image:X:\mountedwim /add-driver
    (or is there some import function?) read the help with /? and you can add drivers to wim or the online (win 10) system.

16. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    put the drivers in install.wim\windows\inf
    Windows should find it and install

17. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Have you tried adding a '$WinPEDriver$' folder to the root of your USB drive and dumping the files you got from 'DriverStore' into it. :confused:

I've used this process a few times (with a basic 'Unattended.xml') on a few 'Headless' installs.
    Can't see why it wouldn't work on a Tablet.

FYI, I use the same approach as Bezalel on my tablet, as it makes a /compact install easier. ;)

18. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    More importantly, It gets the install done without draining the battery. Many tablets cannot be charged while using the USB port and the power management drivers aren't running during the install so the CPU is drawing full power.

19. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Yeah, that's another problem I have run into. Can't charge while USB hub connected with keyboard, mouse and USB drive during install.