Is there any complelling reason to eventually upgrade to windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magnus33, Mar 15, 2012.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Whether the problems and UI interface difficulties get sorted or not, I will definitely upgrade from win 7 x64 to win 8 from RC onwards. The advantage is native support for newer GPUs, wifi support, usb 3.0, support for bigger hard disks, and many other newer additions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    If they don't get rid of the METRO UI on desktop/laptop I won't upgrade to Win8. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    xp mode is just a VM. I think running a VM on a tablet will be epically slow...

4. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    #24 Jachra, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    @Stannieman,

If they use this CPU, then it is possible to run a VM at a decent rate.

Eagle_New_Look_Chip-600.jpg

Usage range:

1 GHz – 1.5 GHz single or dual-core configurations

Device characteristics:

• Elastic performance:
      Instant web-browsing, high-bandwidth operation
      Increasing media and floating-point performance​
    • Optimum power:
      Extended low-power range and better battery life​
    • Richer experience:
      Console-quality gaming, navigation, augmented reality applications​

5. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Personally, I LOVE Windows 8, simply because I think Metro UI is the greatest UI innovation ever. It has increased my productivity a lot on my desktop PC. Also Metro is incredibly beautiful. I'm anxiously waiting for more Metro apps to appear in the Windows Store. So, I am totally satisfied with Windows 8.

However, if for some reason you don't like the Metro UI, my advice is don't upgrade to Windows 8. In fact, I would go as far as to say you should look for alternative OSes like Ubuntu or Mint. Because Metro is not going anywhere -- just like the Office Ribbon.

So, there's no point in upgrading to Windows 8, and bitching about Metro. Either embrace Metro, or move somewhere else.

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You won't upgrade then.

7. FireRx

FireRx MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I don't know why peeps even waste there time in this Thread creation, if you don't want Windows 8, unistall it. be happy with Windows 7 til the next Windows comes out to play with. I think Metro is here to stay though, so either learn to use it and master it. Or don't :cool:

8. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    It is not a question of mastering it or learning it. For some people Metro isn't their thing. And if we be silent, then Microsoft will never learn of it. Speak out and you might be heard. Be silent and you will never be heard.
    Haven't you been reading all those blog posts at Microsoft's website and all other websites? I guess not. Most of them condemn Metro. Most businesses will skip this version for their desktops and laptops. And guess where most of Microsoft's money is coming from? Not from the consumers.
    Follow the news and you will see that Windows 8 will be Windows Vista all over again.

For me the Metro isn't a solution but rather a backwards way of working. Normally I am running 25 open programs. Most of those are legacy, so they will never be on Metro as a fully Metro App. I spend most of my time in the old Desktop environment.

9. FireRx

FireRx MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    #29 FireRx, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    I don't blindly follow people complaints, I do good ole fashion beta testing. For people to come out and try to sound intelligent comparing this to Vista is scarry:innocent:. Remember the old saying, better to say nothing, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt? As far as multitasking multiple app. You can still do that , and have you metro apps running in the background. I do it daily. :eek:. As with any new OS , their's always gonna be complaints of one thing or another. As far as programs, I think they'll probably develop more attractive Metro tiles for them in the future. Above all remember ....This still is a beta. so anything can change. We may end up with a setting where you can turn Metro features completely off. By the Way, I been beating the drum for year with Microsoft from an overclockers perspective on correct clock reporting. MS consistently blew us off as only 2% of all computer users. So if they Calculate a small amount not liking metro...... Guess what will happen?

10. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Latest two years from now, the all of us will laugh about 7. You bet
    We did with 3.11, 95, 98 and so on. There will come a 9, a 10 whatsoever and we will have it and like it ...

Paul

11. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    And neither do I follow blindly peoples complaints. I have run the DP and still run the CP version. Sure, they calculate that some will not like Metro. Sure there will be more attractive Metro Apps, but you didn't get the point. Some people need old legacy Apps. They will never be converted to a attractive Metro App. And their in lies the problem.

12. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    There is no reason to upgrade, and indeed plenty of reason not to. Microsoft has created an OS designed solely for themselves, taking no regard whatsoever for the very customers who have got them to the position they now enjoy. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever accept any of that useless metro crap on any box I use.

13. liltest8hmail8h8boxhhlol

Mar 3, 2012
    today i have instal me 1th version of win8 is this the curent one curstomer priview 8250 (is there a new one? same another buid? ANOTHER name metro or rc or m3 ...?)
    ps: he delete the strart button IHATE! do yu like?

14. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    jfo saiojfqaw oiawkfoap fowkflas wkfslwpwf lskaf :swoon:

15. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    What problem? :swoon:

16. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Shenj,

Because we are used to getting a lot of Apps through the AppStores on phones and tablets, that we easily forget that the desktop/notebook environment isn't that way. We tend to think that the desktop/notebook environment will easily adept to this new way. But the truth is far from it. Some people and companies run legacy Apps (or programs as they used to be called). They will always run on the Old Desktop App. Some of these apps can not be updated because the company that created them has gone bankrupt or the program is no longer supported and updated.

We also tend to forget that that it will costs business a huge amount of money to train their personnel to work with the new gui Metro. Not to mention how it will effect the cost of maintain a good support from within IT departments. And let us not even mention how IT departments are going to support Windows 8 tablets on ARM CPU's. With the current economic crises in some parts of the world, this version of Windows has a high potential to be passed over by those companies.

If Microsoft wants the best of all those environments, the only option is to supply the old fashioned desktop and the Metro ui to the customer. Let the user choose what he wants on his desktop and/or notebook. Or do it like they did with Windows Media Center. You can run it atop of the desktop, but you still can switch it off.

17. wildgoose1uk

wildgoose1uk MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2010
    From my point of view there were massive reasons to upgrade from vista to 7. I don't have any such compunction to upgrade to 8. As did XP 7 is doing just fine.

18. jcgo16

jcgo16 MDL Junior Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I will switch to Windows 8 if they have an option to select the desktop type that you want

^^
    Desktop Or Metro UI

19. kyeahy

kyeahy MDL Junior Member

Apr 1, 2011
    The main reason to upgrade to Windows 8 are the new range of Metro applications and because it gets things done MUCH faster than Windows 7 thanks to the Metro UI and the classic desktop improvements.
    I don't understand why people think simple tasks are made much more difficult. It's rather the contrary.

I'm on the same line as Paul Thurott: get used to change, it's here to stay and you'll come to appreciate it in the end.

20. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Please there is no "Desktop or Metro UI"

Desktop was never a Startmenu.
    But you are not losing your Desktop, it's there where it always was.
    Startscreen only replaced the Startmenu, now what changed? Not much. Get used to it. On Win7 you can only run legacy apps, on Win8 you can run old & new, what are you losing? It's just you not wanting any change, stick to Windows7, W8 is not made for you.