Is there any complelling reason to eventually upgrade to windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magnus33, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mikedl

mikedl MDL Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Agreed, Shenj. Though, to be honest, I haven't tried Win 8 on anything less than multiple monitors. In that environment, it's a lot better than Win7 given the apps and the ability to go in and out of them and close them with a simple swipe down one of the screens.

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    What things get done "MUCH faster than windows 7"?

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think he is just convinced by hybrid shutdown :D

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Guess so. If one shutsdown and restarts 20 times a day, shutdown-bootup times would be THE most important aspect of the computer's performance.

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #45 Shenj, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    I only have one single Monitor and i can honestly say: "I" do not lose anything with the new Startscreen other than Searching is a little different now (no unified view for Apps/System).
    So..

Changing to the Startscreen which is fullscreen to launch a Desktop application which is just a window on your Desktop might be stupid if you think about it, but if you use it you realize.. who cares, it's not any slower or whatever.. just different. (on the WDP it was slow as hell to do this)
    But what are the downsides of this new Startscreen if "I" compare it to the old? Well there are a few, it's really not perfect but it works.
    There is no Recent applications with priority listing anymore, was quite good. It's nowhere on Windows 8.
    Jumplists are now Taskbar only as the new Startscreen has no such function. I don't really miss it as i hardly ever used Jumplists and i think hardly anyone really used them and it shows up on Microsofts data so instead of filling the Startscreen with even more junk they simply didnt give it this function.

What can be Changed in Windows 8 Startscreen?
    Add "Recent" right besides "Start" text on the Startscreen to get the Recent listing back.
    Add "All" ontop of other Searches to have a view of System and Apps included (exclude Files by default), (So it works like old Startmenu Search)
    Add Checkboxes (metro styled and obviously working on touch with the hand motion), Checking (you can only check one) will: When you open Search it will automaticly Search the Checkboxed list.. so you can actually customize your Default search. (Easy, fast, no extra hidden setting)

Heck these are THREE damn changes that would improve the Startscreen by a huge factor and make it pretty much on par with the old one.

And oh not Startscreen but FilePicker, really still no Adressbox O_O you have to click through it (Holy... Microsoft you better realize there are people out there who like to type a path for faster Access)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    That comments makes me out of mind guys...
    Windows 8 build 8250 is the best as ever windows SO tried in more than 20 years of computing....
    Ruined completely by the new Metro Crap

What i'm losing?
    A comment from MSDN blog
    This is what i'm losing, did you read comments all around the whole web about 8 beta build??????

STOP SAYING IF YOU DON'T LIKE WINDOWS 8 STICK WITH WINDOWS 7!!!!!

We are just giving feedback about MS changes removing start menu, giving start screen and full screen metro aps with no Windows at all..

Are we talking About Microsoft Windows 8 or Microsoft Metro 8????

The taskbar is magnific, useful and gives everything at a glance, even when you open start menu...

Start screen covers everything, giving just big squared tiles fulfilling your monitor with a hit in the eyes everykind of colors, know what???
    no such info about opened progs and apps and computer info at a glance!!!!!
    You call this innovation, or just Money needings for a new bad idea?

I'm using now 8250 from the first day released, working fine, fast as hell, using less resources than 7, having a new improvements and features...

Now you know why we use 8 instead 7 and not happy about.
    Wanting to change does not mean that is right or wrong, just something that makes you not to losing time in everyday computing life( I DO NOT MEAN JUST SURF THE WEB, CHITCHATTING ON THE SOCIAL NETWORKS AND SHARE PICS MEANTIME TAKEN WITH CAMERA, for this i will buy Iphone or Samsung Galaxy(android)...)

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #47 Shenj, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
    What your post says: You do not like Metro, ok!

How about something else apart "awww big colors awwww" "awwww i cry awww" Seriously read all of my post, you see what i listed how to improve onto it and whats REALLY wrong with it instead of crying like a child "IT's taking all of my space for one second, MIMIMIMI" Sorry this is seriously getting ridiculous, how about some fing Feedback about MEtro instead of blaming metro, You know where comments like your's end @ Microsoft? Inside the trashbin, they are useless and provide Zero Information on how to improve the NEW thing, instead you keep longing for the OLD thing cause you liked it, instead of trying to keep on the Discussion on how you improve it you just want it removed. Zero acceptable feedback here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Thread name: Is there any complelling reason to eventually upgrade to windows 8?

This thread isn't about how Microsoft should improve Metro. This thread is about if there is a reason at all to upgrade to Windows 8.
    For me and some others the answer is very simple and very clear, namely No. There is no compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 8.
    Yo can translate that to: mv Metro > /dev/null. We also explain why. The answer that we must stick to Windows 7 isn't the correct answer to be given.

How will this help businesses world-wide to work better? There is little from Windows 8 to offer those businesses.

9. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    for me, there are quite a lot:

1. Speed and performance
    2. Metro UI and apps
    3. PDF reader and ISO mounting
    4. the Ribbon (I really like it)
    5. the Lockscreen… even through I don't use it too often
    6. and many more features :D

10. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    You're welcome to be always right. :D

But maybe you can illustrate "everything" with something.

11. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    You know that a child is the most objective, because is not under everyday circustamces,
    so ok i'm a 38 years child, giving a feedback.
    Metro at that point is not improveable, zero productivity at all, companies will completely skip it(enormous market share), user will really think about a buy a Microsoft 8 tablet, or really buy Ipad:)puke: but at that point better than 8) or Android tablets

Ok Suggestion to MS, give to metro apps close and resize buttons(so then metro doesn't have sense) and possibility to not cover the taskbar(covering the taskbar is the bigger mistaKe they have done, if you are a good computing man you will agree)
    Then Metro windows noone will use it, so that's why i do not give feedbacks

AS said before many times, agreed with Misaki, 8 has a lot of speed and system improvements, very useful and productive features, so that's why i use it everyday with 7 start menu, and know what? my productive hours on PC(i have a real life too...) takes less time than on 7 before.

Metro is non sense with what Bill Gates call Windows, so it will be better call for desktops and laptops Windows 8 with all features and start menu back(metro chooseable at installation)
    and Metro 1 for tablets....

Microsoft is trashing my feedback, ok, you do not agree ok, but a lot of people thinks like me, and remember than people makes a market, whereever Microsoft earn money from it....
    We will see how many people will downgrage new computer like in Vista era...

and Shenj, i can provide here and on MSDN blogs a list of full improvements to get Metro better(?????, but M$ will trash it anyway, they are too much focused and convinced that Metro is going to be a success on every single computer.......

12. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
  13. cht342

cht342 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    Almost softwares are working...Very fast booting and shutdown..fastest then any previous windows...Metro is not that ugly..;);)

14. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    #54 Cleric, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    Windows 8 CP got new features like apps, fast boot, high performance plus 80% of programs and security software works great with it. but i prefer Windows 7 SP1 than Windows 8 CP for many reasons specially it's incomplete, unstable, many bugs few solutions and it depend on Internet Connections to run Apps on Metro Menu so if you dont have internet Connection Metro Menu become USELESS, plus its Very Boring so i'll wait for Final Version or RC to decide.

However its nice to get new OS on our machines but not BETA OS. so if anybody need to Run Win 8 CP do it but for testing only "Never" trust in BETA and run it as your Main OS.

15. Jaycee13

Jaycee13 MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks for the advise but I'm running CP as my main OS and I'am happy with the result.. :)

16. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    as you like but you'll return to w7 soon, you'll see ;)

17. oscill8r

oscill8r MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2008
    +1

Only Microsoft engineers would try and build a *unified* OS for all devices ... I mean ffs Apple has already done the legwork for them ... touch doesn't work on vertical screens ... Windows 8 for Desktop / Laptop ... Metro 1 for Phone / Tablets ... I mean how hard is that?

18. Jaycee13

Jaycee13 MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2011
    no.. not anymore... :nono3::movingtongue:

19. Grizz

Grizz MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    #59 Grizz, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    to all those liking the metro ui and how much better it is for you all well and good
    but to tell the ones that don't like it (me included) that it's here to stay so get used to it or get lost is a poor reply
    if you don't like it then sod off is not the way microsoft should be doing things
    why no options to choose the ui, desktop or whatever or are some of us too dumb for that.
    give people choices not just 1 way or the highway

20. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    :beta:.. :haha: