Is there ANY reason NOT to run Ultimate?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hazar, Feb 21, 2010.

1. DasFox

DasFox MDL Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Sorry that's what I thought you meant, so when I replied back I did mention the word ---> disabled. :)

But I also thought that they might not even get installed.

Either way, not installed or disabled, they're not available, unless of course you're some genius hacker that knows how to unlock them. :)

2. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    but that's precisely my point:

All the features are still there so it takes up just as much space just you cant use them.

Its effectively a crippled Ultimate

3. DasFox

DasFox MDL Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Ok, I thought they didn't get installed, didn't know they were just disabled.

4. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Vista Ultimate was a complete screwjob by microsoft. So many of us won't trust another Ultimate edition again.

5. DasFox

DasFox MDL Member

Feb 19, 2010
    I never followed anything to do with Vista, but what was the complete screwup with it?

I wouldn't think that Win7 would have anything to do with it and would be free of whatever past problems there where.

6. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    More specifically, what was wrong with the Ultimate version?

7. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    nothing lol ive used home premium, pro, starter, and ultimate. i really dont see the difference they all run about the same. ram usage and cpu usage. the only thing i didnt like about starter was no aero.

8. MarkCoolio

MarkCoolio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    I simply can't get used to the word ULTIMATE at all, it sounds so terrible when mentioned in combination with an operating system. I more likely choose Business (Vista) or Professional (7) then.. no other reason than the word.
    Call it stupid but for me the one and only reason of choosing the "right" edition for me :)

9. matoz

matoz MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2010
    I always use the most complete version available: "ultimate" from Vista and W7
    for me there's nothing wrong to run the W7 ultimate.
    why, in the name of "****" use other flavors?, so think about it!

10. ozzyboy

ozzyboy MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Me too. Now I'm using Home Premium...

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Think about it? I can think of allot of reasons why someone would use the lower versions, the most important one is because they want to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    They would want to, why?

What you were saying earlier didn't totally make sense... There's not like extra popups or anything in Ultimate, and MSE is an optional download. Also, you even admitted its not edition specific.

I don't think your kids for example would use Bitlocker no need to disable it, you can restrict everything you want really just limited account and you should be fine (they can't do ANYTHING admin without your permission)

13. MarkCoolio

MarkCoolio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Please just accept there are others among us who do not want the Ultimate version. Because of our own reasons. Even if these reasons are no reasons for you... for us they are. Won't ever install an ULTIMATE called edition of OS on my laptop. Never ever. Just my decision.

14. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    This is precisely my point!

People seem to think that not installing Ultimate is better without knowing why. Just because you can? That's pretty stupid.

Tell me why you prefer a crippled edition to a non crippled Ultimate

15. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Why does it matter? I use premium for my kids because it is far more than they need, it was cheaper and it does the job. I have one computer setup with pro, one setup with Ultimate, I have never found the pro lacking. It is a matter of personal choice.

You know what, you're right, I will format both of their computers and put ultimate on them right now.

Why do you care?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. MarkCoolio

MarkCoolio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Precisely my point is: I don't want it called Ultimate! Nothing else! It does not interest me if it is crippled or not, has features locked that the other edition has not. I just do not want to see "Ultimate" when I look at the version string of my operating system. If Microsoft had chosen Professional as highest edition (like with Windows XP) I would have chosen this one. It's a "i don't like the other word" thing, nothing more, nothing less. But for me the counting reason. I do not expect others to understand this. But I expect that others don't try to convince me about choosing other edition than my favorite one (btw: they would not have any chance to do so ;-) )

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #37 Dolorous Edd, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    I prefer pro also, has everything I need and it is cheaper.

I understand Hazar's point. I have no problem with it however I do purchase licenses for my software. The reason I am here is because I have a problem with activation, and privacy. I absolutely hate MS treating me like a criminal and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling watching you guys stick it to them, that said, all of my machines are legitimately activated because I also run a small business and I feel it is best to be legit.

18. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    MarkCoolio if it's pureley aesthetic and about the name, suppose that's fair enough.

@Dolorous Edd

Not that I am figthing some kind of war here, I just wanted to get an insight into the reasons people choose a LOWER edition, as in my opinion I don't see any difference except it has that annoying thing on the panel telling you to get more features and it just has some of the stuff locked out, as opposed to the fully unlocked Ultimate version.

I just was curious as to why people thought like this, one person once said to me "You can never convince me ultimate will perform better on a netbook"

Also, I wasn't regarding licensing costs here. Let's pretend that doesn't matter ;)

19. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Yeah, exactly, if anyone knows how to get rid of that anytime upgrade link in computer properties make a small app or post some instructions please. If I wanted to upgrade I would, I don't need to see a comercial for ultimate everytime I hit win-pause.

If cost wasn't a factor, I would probably still go with pro, no real reason for it other than to piss in the face of ms marketing.

20. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I also prefer pro because really the only thing I have noticed that is different as of now is the multi-language support and the BitLocker. I really have no use for either one of these because I only speak English and my computer does not have a TPM so I think BitLocker is kinda a waste of time there.