Is there ANY reason NOT to run Ultimate?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hazar, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    It goes something like this:

Home basic: home orientated, has media functions, limited though.
    Home Premium: superset of HB, just has more home based functions
    Professional: Business related stuff mostly, networking, corporate environments etc.
    Ultimate: HP + Pro and some extra stuff

2. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    no your wrong. Ultimate is just Pro with some extra stuff.

3. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    For those that don't understand this, Vista ultimate was supposed to have all sorts of "extras" online, which ended up being screensavers and crumby games or something, no idea how this "disappointment" affects unlicensed users.

All versions are supersets of the lesser version. So professional has everything from home premium PLUS business components like remote desktop, ability to join a domain, XP mode, etc.

I like the name of Enterprise, plus it has all the features of Ultimate.

4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    It's a trick question.

The only reason is price. And since I know Hazar does not pay for Windoze, then there is no valid reason not to run Ultimate.

Simple Logic FTW

5. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    I found some people prefer 7 Professional because

1) don't want file encyption possible (kids, booze, etc)
    2) Windows Update does not show a bunch of language packs etc

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    What is the difference in hard disk space between a typical install of Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate?

7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    virtually none

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    There are actually some business programs that run only on Windows professional versions, and won't run on home or ultimate, but those of course are pretty rare for home users.

Besides that, ultimate has little to offer over the professional version. I can't see myself ever wanting bitlocker. It might even screw up a computer if someone accidentally presses it.

9. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Pro lacks MUI, which is an absolute requirement for me.

I'm using japanese ultimate with english MUI because the makers of a lot of the japanese apps I use will absolutely flat-out refuse to support you unless you're using a japanese OS. I wouldn't really need anything more than Home Premium except for MUI.

10. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Virtual Hard Disk Booting?
    Multilingual User Interface Pack?
    Subsystem for Unix-based Applications?
    BranchCache Distributed Cache?
    BitLocker Drive Encryption?

Definitely i do not need any or all of the foregoing; hence windows 7 pro is good enough for me. Ultimate edition is overkill, imo. Lol.

11. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    M$ shouldn't even think of charging me for frills and stuff I don't need.. like by only offering an ultimate version - at least they have given their customers a choice (maybe too much?) - based on need/cost-effectiveness. IMHO ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    Lets face it M$ wrote one operating system and then the bean counter boys at M$ were let go to devise a strategy to extract the most money from sales.
    Certain features are crippled in the install process that some may not want and the rip off price is lowered a bit.
    Look at the strategys to sell mobile phones and call plans - All devised so it's impossible to compare providers and prices etc.
    It's called 'Marketing' and we're all suckers to it!
    In certain non US countries Windows 7 is priced up way over the exchange rate of that countries currency to US$
    Why is Snow Leopard selling for about $37 and Ultimate well over $400 !

13. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    True. How about windows 8 Basic for free - and charge for individual extra's (like media centre etc) ?

14. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Thats beacuse Apple earn their money on hardware "only", face i, Apple computers arent very cheap compared to a laptop which you can buy wherever you want to..

You buy laptops and computers for a lower price but windows more expensive..

15. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Could go with that ofcourse, sounds like a good idea:).

Or like some/all(?) linuxversions, choose the software you feel like installing when installing windows..

There must be and are other ways to work this out in a smoother way.

16. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    MS should have gone with Starter (for netbooks and cheap PCs), Home Premium (for the bulk of the consumer PCs sold in the market), Pro (for the loaded, techies, enthusiasts) and Enterprise.

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Marketing, they call it Ultimate and people would want it. Easy way to bump up the profit margin. The same R and D went into Starter as went into Ultimate or enterprise.

18. MaxKts

MaxKts MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    Question - Is there a way to remove the "Ultimate" label (bottom of logon and logoff screens) without disabling any of the features? I know in XP you could change the boot and logon screens to almost anything.

19. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    #59 spacednow, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    Probably, but it would probably be less time consuming (or at least less frustrating) to do a file and settings backup and install Pro. On the otherhand if you like challenges thats how you learn. Its why most of us here mess with this stuff. I use a bios hack but I have a good pro key (technet from friend) and a good Ultimate Key (thanks house party) that I haven't used. But I learn more doing other activations. Call it a hobbie. BTW the only REAL difference is bitlocker as far as know, aside from a max memory limitation M$ has somehow installed on Pro compared to Ultimate; but the max is outrageous for even PRO.

20. cba1986

cba1986 MDL Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I noticed that home premium consume less memory that Ultimate, about 5% or 10% less (i have 4gb so it's between 400 and 200mb less).