Is there any way to do a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" of unbootable Win7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Myrrh, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I know all about choosing "Upgrade" by running setup from Windows, and doing a repair install/upgrade in place.

However, the particular system will not boot, it crashes with a bluescreen. In Windows XP you could boot the install disc and do an "upgrade" which would preserve the system and make it bootable again. Windows 7 prevents this, if you boot the install disc it only wants to do a clean install. I really don't want to install this system from scratch if possible. What to do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Can you not boot from the windows 7 install disc, and then choose "Upgrade"?

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    No, if you boot and choose upgrade, it says "to upgrade, you must launch setup from within windows" - which is my problem, because windows won't boot. I don't know why they even bother having the choice there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Well that sucks. I tried every possible thing available from the repair options, including sfc, and that did not help.

By the way, it is a virtual machine, "something" apparently corrupted a portion of the VHD rendering it unbootable. I guess my only choice is to mount the VHD, extract anything I want to keep, and rebuild the VM from scratch.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Perhaps if you had actually mentioned it was a VHD that would have helped.

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    How so? If it were a physical drive, chkdsk /f and sfc would have likely fixed it; the same should be true of a VHD.

7. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Delete the virtual machine (this does not delete the vhd, but you could make a copy just in case). Now create a new virtual machine with settings as close to the old one as you can remember. Now where you have to specify the vhd for the new virtual machine, select 'use an existing vhd' and browse to the old vhd.

This has saved my bacon on several occasions. Hope it helps you too.

8. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  9. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014

The last reply to this thread before today was over 3 years ago, I think that the issues have been resolved. Just sayin'.