Is there any way to make Windows 10 perform like 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ccrqc357, Apr 4, 2020.

1. ccrqc357

ccrqc357 MDL Member

Feb 28, 2017
    The notebook has a Intel Z3735 and only 2gb of ram.
    I was using pro before and even navigation to the file explorer lagged.
    I've installed LTSC at first it was a bit laggy but usable.
    I now installed LTSB on it and disabled Windows updates.

2. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    #25 LittlePro, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    1. @Enthousiast : Thanks for taking the time to explain the things.

So,
    People are in false love with LTSC / LTSB & that's only due to the rumours!

An LTSC / LTSB version is supported for 9-10 years while normal enterprise / education has 30 months servicing at the most, isn't it ?

Thanks. ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yes, but again, people who switch every time a new LTSx version is released, could just have used normal enterprise or education, then they would have had the same frequency of new installs.

5. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    My method of reining Windows 10 involves a mixture of setting Windows Firewall to block all connections by default, as well as Group Policy, and for removing the unwanted components, NTLite (which if I recall correctly, is a paid product).

I would use Enterprise or Enterprise LTSC as the base image. NTLite allows you to automate creating a local account, which would skip the offline account creation problems.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What offline account creation problems? That problem only existed on Home + SL and entering 1111111111 will give all offline options, on 19041 that is not needed anymore. And who on earth installs a chopped home anyway.

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    No, it will never be like Win7 no matter what you do to it.
    Chopping up the OS by removing components won't make it like win7.
    Win7 will always be superior at running win7 era programs and video games.
    Given appropriate drivers and firmware, Win7 will always be just a little bit better on those programs.

Here's the problem. Times have moved on. If you're not going to use old dx11 programs until the end of time, it's time to move on.
    Figure out the things that bug you about win10 and see if there are ways you can manipulate the system settings to make it a better experience.
    Try to work with the OS, instead of against it. Try to get out of your comfort zone a bit. You might just find something you like.
    I personally settled on LTSB/LTSC versions since I never use the Windows Store.

I have gone back and tried to use win7 after a couple years and it was just the same feeling that win7 people feel about win10.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    After running 1903/9 for over a year, i even get that feeling when i run 2019 LTSC (which i am running atm too up till 19041.xxx gets a few bugs fixed).

9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I die on Windows 7 every time
    can't Win+X / right-click Start and have to nav / win+r and type
    can't Win+Ctrl+D/Left/Right and have to alt-tab a lot - no virtual desktops really hinders usability for me
    can't click navigation bar in regedit because it does not exist
    can't click Action Center icons.. How do I even hotspot? batch file, somewhere.. Screenshot? printscr, win+r, mspaint, ctrl+v, ctrl+s, alt+f4 pff..
    No DTS Headphone:X? Dolby Atmos? fiddle with APO driver hacks, mixed results in movies, anticheat warnings, might as well use airplane-quality headphones
    And many other little things missing that make a difference - some also from 10 LTSB
    Windows 7 updating? Never want to deal with that again! Windows 10 LTSB updating, Defender, slow file copy, scripts, programs, UI random stutters?
    Security flaws larger than the Wall of China? Be gone, Satan!
    LTSC on recent hardware? still plagued by microstutters, but quite good otherwise.
    That is, until you feel your PC on 1909 / 2004, specially if AMD. And it's not just about feeling. I played a bit of CS and I was just boom! HS! boom! HS! like in my youth.
    OSes are just like cars: no matter how attached you get with one, sooner or latter you're gonna have to let it go rot in a garage, because for the sake of other drivers, you are not gonna be allowed to drive it anymore on the interstate/internet.

10. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Do not be convinced by what others say each one has a different perception and different hardware, test it yourself and see which OS runs better. People may find a true wagon a wonder simply because they believe and want the latest to always be the best no matter what the circumstances.

LTSB (2016) should be the version closest to what you would have with Windows 7. Disable some services and scheduled tasks and this looks great. What matters is that you are satisfied with the performance of your PC.

Versions after 1607 run unnecessary services on a current PC it won't make a difference but on old hardware any performance gain is noticeable.

Virtual keyboard and VPN services running in the background all the time and I never use it :facepalm:

11. ccrqc357

ccrqc357 MDL Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Yeah I had LTSC before and it had become painfully slow , it used 1.5GB of RAM on idle (1607Home run great on the laptop when I first got it but it got to slow with later version).
    I though the only difference between LTSC and LTSB was app compatibility boy was I wrong.
    My laptop is finally usable with LTSB again! Only uses 600MB on ilde and only 900 with chromium edge open with a couple of tabs.
    I have 20gb free storrage even though Ive installed plenty of engineering programs incuding the basic package for latlab!
    LTSC runs great on my Ryzen 1200 desktop tho since it has an nvme drive and 8gb of RAM so no complains there.
    The only solution for my old PC seems to be 7 with extended updates or even 8.1 but I cant leave the aero interface!

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @AeonX even 2016 LTSB is experiencing offline update bugs, never fixed by MSFT, @abbodi1406 had to fix that for being able to offline integrate updates into the wim.

And in fact, after 2019 LTSC many things like the defender experience and hardware support for AMD cpu's were improved/fixed.

Not going to repeat the things said before about people praising LTSB, because of no feature updates, and next upgrade to LTSC, because of the .... new features and improvements, and next will upgrade to 2022 (or whatever it will be called) LTSC.

13. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Yes LTSB 2016 has some problems. Windows Update consumes a lot of resources and takes a long time to install updates, it has this problem to integrate updates offline but as I remember it was only with x86.

The point is that with weak hardware you don't have much of a choice.

Certainly newer builds have improvements but most are focused on new hardware. Ray tracing that was added in version 1803 only exists on relatively recent video cards. So who has old hardware will have few benefits or even be punished with worse performance because of more features present in newer versions. So it is necessary to have common sense for each one to decide what is best for your specific case.

For me the main advantage in LTSB/LTSC is not having Windows Apps or Store and having Cortana disabled. Nothing that cannot be done on any version of Windows 10 but it is more convenient and people like convenience.

I agree that long support is no longer an advantage when you have relatively recent hardware and with new versions of Windows 10 you can enjoy the new improvements without dropping in performance.