Is there anything great about Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #81 Smorgan, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    @Universal Apps: I don't use them anyway.
    @Xbox: I don't have an xbox one
    @DirectX12: Vulkan will span both GPU and operating system vendors, continuing in the footsteps of the cross-platform, vendor-neutral OpenGL before it.
    @Start menu: I have StartIsback / Classic shell (or windows 7)
    @Virtual Desktops: Vmware / Virtual Box have always been around
    @Metro: Its an ugly flat way of doing things
    @MKV / FLAC: You can always use MPC-HC, VLC, Media Monkey, Literally most everyone has had support for MKV and FLAC
    @Cortana: Still needs work
    @Spartan: Not even worth the effort to use bc its so broken
    @Snapping: Minor imporvment
    @ALTTAB: Nice to see
    @Performance: Now do that to Windows 7 via sp2 or 8.1 then I'll be happy

I have no real reason to move on to Windows 10 because DX12 is still in the works and the interface literally looks horrible. The reason why its quicker is that inherently metro uses less resources because of the way it looks. I mean its just a webpage with almost resources put into it ofc its going to load faster. I mean just because it looks good, loads fast, does not make it better. I mean the OS as a whole looks ugly as all hell.

2. Shadykillas

Shadykillas MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #82 Shadykillas, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Let me just say this as a Gamer and as a Network Administrator to over 10k users I find it funny that when you present someone with an OS the boots faster and 9 out of 10 times provides performance improvements to games across the board that they play along with more features built in, enhanced security, more modern hardware support and quicker access to probably many of the places they go to make tweaks to their OS (it's called right clicking on your start button in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Screenshot (2).png ) that their excuse is they don't like the interface because it isn't pretty enough.... LMAO I wouldn't call you a true tech or gamer.

Don't get me wrong I do think things should and could be improved interface wise but just because I would like to see a few interface tweaks doesn't mean I wouldn't use the OS. With Windows 10 you have an OS that you now don't have to clutter up with 50 different programs to play this file format or stream this or back up to that... whatever. Everyone bitches about how slow their PC gets and about how they have to download and update all these programs all the time making their OS slow. Now you have an OS with no need for VLC, 3rd party capture software, that supports light apps (as well as heavy win32 ones), virtualization, and the list goes on and on... but instead you want to run an OS where it's not just an option to install those 3rd party apps but where you have to do so it get functionality. It makes no since from a gamer who want's a clean OS that runs his game the best to a Network Admin that is looking for high out of the box functionality.

But who knows maybe I'm the crazy one who thinks performance and features are more important than some small interface tweaks... because lets face it until you are compiling your own Video drivers in Linux or running games in WINE (I know that you don't have to do that much anymore) it's not really a big deal.

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #83 Smorgan, Apr 23, 2015
    Saying all of that is unfair because WINE is a piece of crap for emulation. I'm talking about using linux then having steam up and running inside of it. And if that doesn't work you can virtualize Windows 8.1 or 10 if you want to. My machines are not slow at all as they run SSD's on all of them because of the dramatic speed increase. I just see no need to run an Operating system that will be plagued with privacy issues with the search ability built into the start menu. Along with the bugs that will be seen when its released because of going gold prematurely. Please do not patronize me with your experience I purposefully left that out so that this debate would be clean. I am not going to descend to your level by saying the experience I have on the tech or gaming front.

Purpose built applications are known to be superior than windows programs. I could run this stuff that comes with windows but why would I when the programs have been purposefully built from the start and have all the bugs ironed out already. They have the full feature set I would expect of them. Now I'm going to be evil and mention that Spartan has barely enough functionality in terms of a browser. And as a web developer I would never use it to test my website because of the state it is in.

I have no need to point out my credentials when my threads speak for themselves.

4. Shadykillas

Shadykillas MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Spartan sucks I will give you that there are major changes that need to happen to that app!! But what major bugs and issues did you have with Windows 8.1? And I'm not saying Linux is a bad OS I'm just saying it's not really what I would call user friendly at times. I was also more directing my comments to the Windows 7 users not Linux. As for bugs I agree Windows 10 should not be released in July if they can get it bug free by then I would be very presently surprised. But the time will tell and most users are complaining about the interface not bugs. As for purposefully built programs that is a two edge sword... Some are better then built in things and some are not. To the average user (not power or tech user) not having to surf through the web to find 3rd party software can be a +... and even for me I no longer need VLC to watch MKVs or stream to them my tv which I do all the time (as one example) that just makes for a less 3rd party program filled OS. Yes if I want to do some heavy video editing I would use a 3rd party app but having basic functionality without the need for other apps to users that don't need that is never a bad thing.

The only reason I said I was a gamer and Network Admin was to give some perspective as the OP on this thread stated he wanted that perspective. I am not a coder I haven't played around in Linux that much as of late but I do deal with a ton of end users and as such see a lot of things.

You brought up legitimate concerns, privacy, bugs, whatever and we might even disagree on some things. But I think we can both agree that one shouldn't just discount an OS based on a few interface changes. That is what I was getting at. How silly to do such a thing is.

5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #85 Smorgan, Apr 23, 2015
    @Spartan: The App needs a ton of work before I'll even call it a browser.
    @Third Party Apps: Most tech people use anything but IE.
    @The Average User: MDL is not the average user. I refuse to believe the average user is that stupid.
    @Knowledge: Why use the built in when you know there are better things? Being Lazy is not an excuse if you have the knowledge. Windows is the lowest common denominator for most anything.
    @Network Admin: You should know better. Linux is what most people use on the Administrative side. Linux provides the most customizability with the administrative ability to do anything you need to do along with being the most secure as well. If you don't know Networking on the linux side then your just a bad Network Admin.
    @Discounting an OS: If I think the OS looks like s**t then I won't use it. However this issue is compounded by the lack of customizations in Windows 10, Privacy Issues, Bugs, etc.

@Windows 7: Windows 7 was the best operating System MS made given its stability and usability. I use Windows 8.1 with StartISBack or Classic Shell to make it look like 7 because of how atrocious Windows 8 and 8.1 was usability wise. Hell I'll go even further Windows 10 looks like s**t and performs like s**t.

The moral is that being lazy doesn't give a person justification on how they do things tech wise. I could be lazy but then the projects I do as a tech person would not come to fruition. The world does not work off laziness.

6. f.a.

f.a. MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    - Modern apps in windows. It makes working invironment more identical.
    - More apps. Some apps in store is for Windows 10 only (Office preview, etc.), and the number of this apps will only rise
    - Nokia Camera app came on PC from Windows Phone
    - Refreshed UI (new icons and new Immersive shell). Old icons have been there since vista. It's boring.
    - DX12. If you are a gamer it will be enough to say. If it's not, learn what it brings.
    - Spartan. it starts fast, it works fast. It looks clean. Doesn't throw up some dialogues about settings. It's surely a new way in downloading Firefox or Google Chrome.
    - Notifications Center. Finally!
    - New time app with world clock, alarms, timer and time tiles.
    - Cortana. Hey, Cortana!

Windows 10 on PC is the nice update and in current builds it doesn't seem to contain a bugs that cannot be beat up until July. It will live.

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #87 Smorgan, Apr 23, 2015
    @Apps: Would you care to look at the Windows Phone Market Share ... then get back to me on if the apps will rise?
    @Nokia Camera app: Who cares?
    @Refreshed UI: Looks like crap.
    @Bugs: What world do you live on?

This is the first time I have ever intentionally quoted myself. Congrats I have had over 1500 posts and this is a first do you want a prize? Also do you guys even use Windows 10 in terms of testing it around the clock? Spartan browser literally freezes while loading pages.

8. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    You're one of those dinosaurs for which Windows 95 would be enough till the end of days.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #89 nodnar, Apr 23, 2015
    this old walrus feels a warm solidarity to Smorgans`opinion. Although i would not dream of testing any version beyond w7..
    and w95 at least had a sys command, and dos, and no backdoors. just my 2 cents. you can call me a dinosaur too, if you like..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    The purpose of this thread is to illicit opinions about Windows 10. To insult a person whose opinion differs from yours is a direct indicator of your own insecurity and ignorance. If you wish to hide your own shortcomings behind the guise of sarcasm, that is indeed your choice.

However, I would recommend that you share an opinion about Windows 10 rather than casting aspersions.

:MJ

11. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Get over yourself.... It's HIS opinion and was not even directed at you.

12. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #92 dummekuehe, Apr 23, 2015
    I couldnt care less what the UI looks like.
    But when it is slow and laggy and less intuitive then it is crap.
    As I've said a few times already. Just look at the piece of s**t metro calculator. Less functionality and super slow!!!
    So to get a fast metro calculator all i need is a better cpu? If that is the answer then: stfu!!!

13. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
  14. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
  15. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    When you look at the current icon for recycle bin, there's not so much of a difference between Windows 95 and Windows 10 :D. And even in Windows 95 you could set the color of the title bars (if you wanted). Don't get me wrong, I think the UI of Windows 10 isn't that bad, but yet it isn't particular good.

So, is there anything great about Windows 10? Personally, all I can think of is the possibility to run apps in floating windows now. I close to never use any Store app, but just for the sake of the Settings app it's a huge improvement over the Windows 8/8.1 full-screen enforcement. What else? Well, multiple desktops out of the box is very welcome, no need for the Sysinternals solution anymore. Plus the improvements to the command prompt, better late than never. I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care for the DX12 stuff (although interesting) and pretty much all of the other new features are just gimmicks.

What's not so nice? The Start menu. I don't really care about if it's a menu or a screen (or if there is a menu at all), but if I had the choice I'd prefer to have either the Windows 7 style menu or the 8.1 style screen. Pretty much all about the new one - and I'm talking about the XAML version here because the previous one wasn't so bad - looks and feels wrong: The positioning of the power button and search box, the design and functionality of the left pane (hard to distinguish from the tile area and weird top/left alignment when in full screen mode), and its usability in general. Especially for people who use Windows 7 and its Start menu, this one must look like a joke to them. I never liked the Windows 8/8.1 Start screen in particular, but I think I'm gonna miss it a little, even if it was just for the parallax backdrops, as the new one right now is just a crippled incarnation of the earlier.

I think a lot of the issues are due to the universal design. Universal sounds great as a concept, but in reality it means that nothing is specialized in any way and therefore it cannot provide a truly satisfying experience on any device/input method. Adaptive UI is great for simple patterns and hamburger menus, but it doesn't really scale and more complex interfaces will still require dedicated UI design.

16. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #96 LiteOS, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    why search dont search in settings and contorl panel just website
    its become second base of bing :\

after installing classic shell and disable few services its work nicely :)
    powershell looks much better and faster

17. The_GEE_Team

The_GEE_Team MDL Junior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Nothing beats out Windows 7

18. AtomR

AtomR MDL Member

Oct 22, 2013
    You're speculating this before Windows 10 RTM & I hope you'll be wrong. lol :p

19. Mrox2

Mrox2 MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I Agree, the previous start menu was much better, the switch to XAML made me lose all hope, so I went back to Support Win7 instead, because it still owns, one way or another.

20. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Do you really think they are going to change the OS overtly when they are so close to release?

No they will not therefore Windows 7 is still the king.