Is there honestly any reason to upgrade to 10 from 8.1/7?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nongshim, Dec 11, 2016.

1. sick13

sick13 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2016
    Thx :), i am not inexperienced when it comes to Win OS been around since 95 :D (i know i am old) but personally i think when you take control from the user away (like with win 10) it;s always a bad thing, again this is my own opinion (call me old fashioned).

but if we would compare problems that came up with updates on W10 vs W7 to me it seems W7 is way more stable (not to mention you have way more control on how you get the updates, witch changed sadly in the last months)

Not to imply that overall W10 is a bad OS it;s just that user has to get way more involved if he wants the system to be the way he want's it to be/act.

but all in all it comes to personal preference and needs :)

2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #22 LiteOS, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Windows 10
    server 2016 mb

Im playing with packages and sxsexpend , telemetry include in many areas in the OS
    it just
    Facedows OS

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Absolutely YES. I used to put W7 on everything, gave up on 8.x mostly, now I see no reason not to go with newest OS available
    It just works. Just a personal opinion

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That is absolutely NOT needed for 95% + of normal users. They DO want to have updates. They would have NEVER EVER have a clue what to update & what to not! Most of them not forced would never even know where Windows Updates is located
    The remaining < 5% can do whatever they want, as they should know how to do it.

So the your is NOT a VALID reason for anything, sorry!

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Aside the improved MS spyware there are few small real improvements that can be useful assuming you need/notice them:

First of all a decent command prompt (finally! after 30 years), the snap function working for win32 programs, the linux subsystem (which is a great thing to fill everything Win lacks chronically)and little else.

6. budzos

budzos MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2009
    But its still an issue. It may not apply to the majority but I must be a control freak and like to have choices.
    budzos

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It depends on individual need, familiarity, use or choice. As for me nothing will make me go back to Windows 7 from Windows 10.

8. venioni

venioni MDL Senior Member

Mar 28, 2014
    so,windows 7 or windows 10,what did you vote ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I dunno, I used to think that I preferred W10 until 1607 showed up. What changed me was the forced lock screen.
    So how could such a small thing make me go back? Workarounds are all over the net.

It was the feeling that MS might start changing things twice a year that just makes me so f-ing mad. Once I have set up the OS like I prefer it I don't want to go hunting down workrounds after that. It's like the need for tweaks and workarounds never ends.

Up to that point I had spent so many hours figuring everything out, the lock screen was just the tipping point.
    Eventually I will go W10, most likely, but I don't know when.

Windows 10 will never be finished

10. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Change must be hard for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

That's why I like 8.1, it's finished, it won't be changed every year or month or whatever, I prefer atleast to have my desktop the way I want it, also other simple programs don't work for example, atomic alarm clock doesn't even display correctly in 1607.

12. iFlaX

iFlaX MDL Senior Member

Apr 10, 2015
    #32 iFlaX, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Win 8.1 with classic shell = best OS :clap:

OnT: I have nothing against Windows 10, but as a gamer it doesn't benefit me in anyway, yet. As a Nvidia user DX12 has no real improvement so far. When it does i will make a switch.

13. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

After a fresh install of 8.1 and the WU hangs and just searches, what update do I download from MS?

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    The lockscreen change was one of the weirdest decisions I've seen. When I wake my computer, I have to first press enter, and then enter my password. I might get used to it eventually with enough time of using Win10 exclusively, but it still throws me off a bit occasionally (if I immediately start typing my password, only half of it gets entered in the box since the first half is sent to nothing while the lock screen "wakes up" or aka waste-time-by-throwing-the-background-and-clock-to-the-top-of-the-screen).

It's likely hard for a lot of people, to varying degrees of course.

I have a long list of tweaks I do on my Win10 set-ups. I'm not looking forward to the next major update that'll likely change or even remove the ability to change such settings.

15. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Or you can hit the space bar. Why would you want a password box in the middle of your picture any way? It would likely obscure something.

16. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Todays sloppiest analysis. :D

If you were right I wouldn't even try W10. Or W7. Maybe I'd be stuck with AmigaOS 2.04..

17. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Aren't you on Windows 3.1? :p

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I don't really mind for something I see for about a second :p

I'd be fine if the picture didn't exist at all though, and I could easily wake straight to the password prompt in the past. But I guess not seeing the animation hurt Microsoft's feelings or something for them to enforce it...