Is there honestly any reason to upgrade to 10 from 8.1/7?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nongshim, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

What is the best uxtheme patcher out there to use on either 8.1 or 10 x64?

2. iFlaX

iFlaX MDL Senior Member

Apr 10, 2015
    UXstyle does the trick in Windows 8.1 and 2015 versions of Windows 10. Windows 10 AU broke 3rd party theming pretty much. (I am however quite not up to date with theming on win 10 AU so this might've been fixed.)

3. gdeliana

gdeliana MDL Senior Member

Oct 2, 2010
    #83 gdeliana, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    OK, but i wanted to know:

IS THERE REALLY A NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE INCREASE IN W10 VS W7???

And when i talk about perfomance increase, i do not mean like the usual placebo: 2-3%, but some 10% atleast, because we are talking here about some really BIG time frame development: W7(2009) VS W10 (2015). Is 6 years man!!!!

All i see are some UNKNOWN stupid services running in the background + telemetry that if you disable can scrumble your system?????

So do you want me to pay for this???

I only wish that someday ADOBE + Game developers + HW manufacturers (nvidia, intel, amd) understand that Linux can have all of the creampie as well, if they invest the same efforts there and they leave this windows behind. BUT offcourse Microsoft is lobbying here i guess. OK, so make a linux distro with payment as well, and make the drivers for it at the highest performance and put adobe and games into it, but just don't put the crap of microsoft inside (ISO ~1G) and you have the perfect recipe. What it takes for doing this??? Some really determined Linux developers and to develop it closed source ;) Just like microsoft after all :)

IOS - reminds me of the saying: Too much can also damage you :D

OWW and i also forgot to mention that even more s**tty is the IOS, YES. This system is made for small little girlies that can't live without the eyecandy. The system is not at all in handy. It has crappy "intuitive" interface and they think that the customer is SOOOO dumb so that the icon of the program, which has a notification to give, HAS TO JUMP, nearly all way to the middle of the screen, just to show you that HEY I AM HERE and i have a notification????????? Like seriously??????
    In IOS, you forget the user password and you have an apple account => then please in order to reset the user password you must have in mind even the apple account password. And even other stupidities connected with the apple ID.

Microsoft is influenced by the small apple, and this is a pity, they were on the right track before, and if they go on like this then i am afraid the company will have to close one day!!!

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    gdeliana

Please don't :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Who said anything about paying for it? ;)

The thing about MDL is that we're (well...most of us) are -NOT- fanbois for either apple or microsoft. The reasons to (or not to) upgrade are all based on personal choice and needs.

I haven't updated to Windows 10 because frankly, I don't need to. My hardware is Windows 7 compatible. As far as telemetry goes, in Windows 7, it's really easy to shut it off. Yeah, Windows 10 does not make it easy, but they (MS) forced it on so that they can build a better mousetrap (so to speak)

Will they use the data they collect for profit? Absolutely. And they should. Google and Apple do it. Why shouldn't they?

That's from their perspective...time will tell if having ad collection built into the OS creates a scenario of unfair advantage (like Netscape and IE)

We'll see.

As far as Linux is concerned, it's a great OS, but as far as games go, I've heard many complaints, and some users are disappointed in the gaming experience.

It's just not there yet. And that makes sense because, for the most part, Linux is a community driven OS.

If you're building a sever, you want to (and should use) Linux. But, like everything in this world, it's not perfect.

Welcome to MDL, btw.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    no. Even more 10 is slower encoding videos/audio/etc

7. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    Depends on your hardware and the use you give to your computer, newer hardware would do better than older, due to drivers, but as said before do your own benchmarks, if you find 10 to be faster keep 10, if you find 7 to be better use 7, personally I found it better in WiFi and SSD endurance/performance, but it's really hard to come up with a big yes or no globally, not all computers are the same neither all of us do use them for the same purpose

8. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    really? oh dear :(

9. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    I benched my computer running the CPU-Z Multithreaded benchmark, in Windows 10 I get a 14% increase compared to Windows 7, something like 5200 vs 6000 points, so, yes, at least in multithread there is an advantage of using latest Windows version.

10. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Is there any difference between Windows 10 from MCT and Windows 10 from MSDN other than MCT just has Home and MSDN has Home and Pro?

11. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #91 lobo11, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  12. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Should I use MCT or the MSDN iso?

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #93 lobo11, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  14. gdeliana

gdeliana MDL Senior Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Me neither am a fanboy of Microsoft nor apple or linux. I just want to run the best possible piece of software in my computer.

It's just that is incredible how Microsoft has got itself on the wrong lane, they just did not understand WHAT A PC IS?? I think they should go to uncle Gates for some lessons and reminders :D

I don't have a problem to pay for windows, and in fact i payed for W7, but refused to install W10, coz in my VM tests i always got shocked on the processes running in the background.

Yes GOOGLE DOES TELEMETRY BUT ------IS GOOGLE ASKING MONEY FOR MOST OF THEIR SERVICES??? NO

When somebody pays money for a software is supposed to obtain the highest quality ever and when it comes to OS, then privacy shall be respected.

It looks to me that i pay money to "Improve Microsoft products" instead of paying money to find it already improved ;)

Microsoft is supposed to have huge testing process, hence with all the money they get. And not test the software when it is launched to the end user, and the poor guy payed. NO NO NO :tea:

I have been in this forums for a long time and have followed the activity here a lot, and it feels like we IN FACT are helping Microsoft improve their product.

Ok i understand that a product can be improved infinitely, but it seems like here we are stuck in a loop.

Some of you have reported performance increases in some benchmark sw like CPU-z. Who is assuring me that this software is not biased towards W10?

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    We are helping MS, sure, what do you think Windows Insiders are, they simply make up for all the people MS let go. What are all the caps for? You have access to as much information as we do about each OS, choose one, Best of luck to you. :D:D

16. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Any added performance benefits of using "official" drivers over the older ones from WU? Or any other types of benefits.

17. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Not really, use driver that works best for you, if you buy software or have other software that comes with drivers, it's probably better to use them.
    Always uninstall drivers from Device Manager, as soon as you uninstall driver, install new driver before rebooting as that is when a driver is installed, on reboot.

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
  19. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

AMD Graphics here.

20. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Espionage724,

Sure they have helped, free guinea pigs, they help make up for all the fired MS employee's. :D:D