Is there no way to preserve the FREE WMC Keys?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by byghtn3, Jan 26, 2013.

1. randyored

randyored MDL Junior Member

May 8, 2007
    If they were activated before 2/1, like how I did it in my previous post in this thread, do they not move to a different catagory in the M$ activation cloud? As in, wont be deactivated?

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ randyored
    IMO, no. If anything it'll make it harder to activate using them keys since you've now assigned all of them keys to a specific system ID. Maybe phone activation would work though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. randyored

May 8, 2007
    Actually, I used the same system. Just opened up a command prompt (admin) and used the /ipk and /ato commands. After activating all of the "other" WMC keys, I returned it to the original WMC key.

Tonight, I will install one of my other legit Win8 Pro keys on another system. Then I will use one of the already activated WMC keys. I may need to use phone activation. I will report back the results.

4. randyored

May 8, 2007
    That is interesting. I used the same email for my first 2 WMC key requests. I got 2 emails with the same key. This was back when the KMS + WMC worked.

So, I installed two different systems with Win8 Pro (KMS) and used the same WMC key to upgrade both. They both activated fine via Internet. So, that begs the question... Does multiple requests (using the same email address) add additional activations to the one WMC key? Or, put another way, Because I requested 2 keys, did M$ allow 2 activations on that one key (like a MAK key)?

5. Gamer2win

Gamer2win MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2008
    I did that too, but I didn't return to original WMC Key, cause I had installed the wrong WMC key on it (well wanted the machine to correspond the user emailed WMC key)
    so I swapped with the key I wanted to use in that system and it is all fine so far

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    No, but if you use the same key on multiple systems before long it won't allow it anymore and then you need to use phone activation.

Nope.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...