Is this failed BIOS mod, or dying board? (P67A-UD3)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Dalamar, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dalamar

Dalamar MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2008
    #1 Dalamar, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    My P67A-UD3 started having problems after one of the recent BIOS updates (even at stock settings):
    1. it auto restarts 80% when trying to access the BIOS (del key)
    2. sometimes during the Intel AHCI thing while it's starting it displays the first two ports then spouts messages like
    "Identify device failed"
    "invalid device geometry"
    "port reset failed"
    It's not the drives, they all work fine.

all my bios mods were done as SSV3, ACPITBL at end, oemx 5

Haven't seen any other reports of this, and I can't really test without the BIOS mod since it'll probably break the W7 install...
    Currently using F6.
    No problems gaming or overclocking aside from serious boot time woes...

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Re flash original unmodified BIOS. Use Daz loader to activate temporarily. See if boot problems persist. It sounds to me like there are issues with your BIOS mod. I have experienced similar . Have you tried an FACS mod ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dalamar

Dalamar MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2008
    Just tried FACS, got in BIOS ok, will see in time I guess. I don't really reboot or shut down much and could just be a fluke that it worked the first time now...

4. Snoopy_garnet

Snoopy_garnet MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2011
    The bios on that board is fakey at best. The only way I could get a stable system is to revert back to the original F3 bios and run in IDE mode rather than AHCI. I did a registry hack to go back to IDE so I didn't have to reinstall Windows.
    I did not use a SLIC modified bios on this board as I used a legit copy of Win 7, so I can't comment on that. I am using Daz loader on another computer and a modded bios on yet another and I'd say at this point the Daz loader is just as good at this point in time.
    I'm hoping that when Gigabyte replace this board with the new B3 stepping board that they will also have improved the bios.

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    This is only my personal opinion, certainly not fact but I suspect issues.with Gigabyte BIOSes. My board behaves strangely when running a nodded BIOS. Although SLIC insertion is successful my machine would restart itself during the first startup of the day. Strangely , only the first startup though. Subsequent restarts were no problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...