is this right change your motherboard and you have to pay for a full windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by geordiemark, Jun 3, 2015.

1. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    The OEM case is a little bit of a gray area. For example, according to German/EU law, it's perfectly legal to transfer an OEM license from one machine to another. I personally did this serveral times with Windows XP/7 in the past and it worked well with phone activation. Don't know if this is still possible with Windows 8 onwards, but prior that your OEM license definitely didn't die with your motherboard. This might change now due to the phrase "supported lifetime of the device".

Nonetheless, the very details of Windows 10 licensing are still unclear because there are no EULA texts released yet (AFAIK).

2. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
  3. compaq66

compaq66 MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2008
    ms software crap

just load os x on your pc or linux:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    what a useful contribution :eek:

5. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Have you ever tried to install an osX on non Apple hardware? Have you looked into the software license from osX? If you have done that you'd see that it isn't simply to do and not even permited by Apple! By the way this is a thread about Windows 10.

6. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
  7. curley

curley MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I have and its easy with compatible hardware

8. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012
    You can change motherboard or PC with a retail licence. And with an OEM if you change board you are suppose to get a new licence. However i think in the EU its legal to transfer an OEM due to laws so phone activation still works with an OEM licence also ;)

So go down to your local skip grab a buggered Windows 7/8 machine phone up via skype using the UK/German or whatever number and activate it on your machine. Job done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    that mite not work either.....i did that years ago wth XP and the UK number was offline.....i think MS new what people were doing and was shutting down international phone activation.....they only want u to call the US number were u had to talk to one of the representative.....but who knows it mite work....we just wait and see.

10. yahyoh

yahyoh MDL Member

Dec 6, 2012
  11. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    This is why is punctuation important:
    punctuation.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Sure i did it last year with a Windows 7 licence but who knows worth a try for some i guess. Remember something about OEM licences and EU law overruling Microsoft rules and being able to still transfer licence. Not sure on all the details but i am sure you could easily look it up.