Is This True -- Even After Tweaking & Blocking !!! :(

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GodfatherX64, Feb 10, 2016.

1. GodfatherX64

GodfatherX64 MDL Novice

May 13, 2013
    Hi , i found an article 10 min ago

Windows10 "Privacy" !!

thehackernews.com/2016/02/microsoft-windows10-privacy.html

is this true , even after blocking , tweaking , scripts ??

im just talking with you guys

if it's true , i think Linux or (windows 7 w/o updates :D) is a good choice

but i use RSAT for AD , GPO , etc. on my laptop all the time at work

what should i do??

may be i should install it on a different machine or a vm inside my laptop , right??

what is your opinions , and if there is a true solution for telemetry please point me at it

thanks

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I doubt you will be able to stop all telemetry:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GodfatherX64

GodfatherX64 MDL Novice

May 13, 2013
    so we should surrender to the fact that no one can do anything about it :(

and about Linux , you just need to update your Kernel to 4.4.1 or 4.5 i think

5. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Better to stay with 4.1.
    4.3+ has issues
    /* Arch Linux user with 4.4.1-2 here */

6. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    imo Ms wil allways outfox us users: they have the knowledge, the dough and supremacy

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There's only one way to get that solved: use a external Hardware Firewall, which could, or even should be a extra Computer with Linux OS, multiple NIC's (min. 2), a Apps like Smoothwall Express or PFSense (which are both very extended Firewall's and even more, and also are Freeware), placed between your Modem (or Modem-Router), Router and Network-Switch! And that's just the very beginning and most easy part of the whole process!

After done that, you will need a lot of time for to setup that Software, while the Basic Configuration, is just the smallest part! What will need time, is to create all the needed Rules with all needed Data. On the End of the Day, it's a never ending process! It's not just to create the incoming and outgoing Rules, you'll also have to limit the connection on several ways, include IP's, Mac Addresses and more! Even you may be get all data in after some days, more likely after several weeks(!!), you also need to log any single connection in and out and control them minimum once every day!

Do you think you could handle that? Think more than once or even twice!! The days from the past, as the first AV software was created in app. 1987 by B.Fix, are long over and that were not for the PC, it was for the Atari Computer and then the first Apple's!

The trend today goes in the way as it was shown on the Movie 1984!!

8. michaelmyers

michaelmyers MDL Member

May 28, 2015
    #8 michaelmyers, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Anywhere in that article does it show any proof at all that the data they get through telemetry is in fact your personal data? Stuff like personal documents, videos, music, video?

Oh it doesn't? Zero proof at all?

Then what are you soo paranoid about? Honest question

I want to see hard proof. Actual freaking evidence they are taking personal data and storing it. Not some moron who disables stuff and gets confused when apps try to reconnect multiple times through multiple servers because it thinks a specific server may be down so it tries another one.

I suspect I'll be waiting a very long time

9. kuroda

kuroda MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2012
    ....Why the people do not accept things as they are?... humans... like to complicate things ...:tasty:

10. SiXXGuNNZ

SiXXGuNNZ MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    time to throw out your phones now also

11. GodfatherX64

GodfatherX64 MDL Novice

May 13, 2013
    What a Nightmare :fear2:

12. GodfatherX64

GodfatherX64 MDL Novice

May 13, 2013
    what makes me annoyed is that they didn't say what data they are collecting

the company i work at (an Egyptian Oil Company) has an offer to upgrade our servers from 2003 & 2008 to 2012 R2 for free
    so my boss wants to also upgrade from win 7 to 10

his personality is more paranoid than mine
    so should i tell him about telemetry

and what if he tell me to find a solution but must to upgrade the machines??

13. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    long live George Orwell !

14. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    The buzz word is metadata.
    In theory, if part of that metadata contains the file hashes, "they" ( there is that word again ) do have the computing resources to recreate the file.
    ( Just look at NSA's Utah facility, and that is public knowledge. Now just try to imagine what "they" have at secret facilities, and yes, those do exist. )

It all boils down to trust.

Do I trust a geeky 20 or 30 something year old Bill Gates ?
    Absolutely.

Do I trust his replacement at Micro$oft, or any government agencies with this so called metadata ?
    Absolutely not... Not in today's world.

In that respect Bin Forgotten has accomplished his mission, after all he attacked the US because, and I quote then president Bush, "He hates our freedoms."
    This is simply another example of how those freedoms are being eroded little by little.
    It is people like yourself michaelmyers that are not only allowing, but encouraging the powers that be to continue down the path they are on.
    Someday you will regret it, but not until "they" come after you.

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    All I can say is good Luck. lol

16. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014

These guys don't need anything in the way of proof since the accusation they consider proof enough...;) The Internet is crammed full of conspiracy theorists who never fail in finding some new crisis to fear...! It's funny, but it's also...yawn...very boring, too.

17. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Yup.
    To you the William Binney's, Thomas Drake's, J. Kirk Wiebe's, Edward Snowden's, etc. etc. are extremely boring.
    That simply tells me that you are not capable mentally of realizing the implications of what they are trying to say.
    It is sad really.
    Out of curiosity, Walt do you suffer from ADHD as well ?

18. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    MS only spies on the paranoid, and the conspiracy theorists. For all others it is useful telemetry.

19. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #20 JFKI, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016