Isn't KMS activation good enough?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Frankincense, Dec 23, 2012.

1. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    For legal purchase you will need a Retail version of Win 8 Pro or Core.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    And so there's nothing I could do to convert the installed VL?

3. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    You have to buy a retail-version and make a clean install. See it as punishment from MS to always buy a legal retail version in the beginning. If you would have made a well informed decission you would have known, that a activation of a VL-Version with a KMS is per definition not a fire and forget solution! If you would have been interested in how this activation works and the possible way of MS to easyly deactivate your Windows, you could have made a well informed decission if you want to have it this way. No b*** and m*** afterwards allowed! Customer-Service is only for paying customers.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #26 s1ave77, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    After some little "preparation" you should be able to activate a fresh install:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
    Change value of "MediaBootInstall" from "1" to "0". Then open elevated CMD and type:

Code:
    cscript slmgr.vbs /rearm
    Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    plan B :D

anyway it only takes 55 seconds once every 175 days :smartass:

there is nothing "permanent" in the activation game, it's tit for tat with M$ whenever they make a move... :D meanwhile we're learning for "educational purposes" the innards of Windows 8 :)

:cheers: have a nice Xmas!! :D

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I wondered this too... I mean KMS activation is pretty much a nice way to "temporarily" activate, for (what I see as) a pretty long time, and re-activation (or even just resetting the time needed) is a few (or maybe one?) commands away. Doesn't modify system files in a non-legit way either, or fake actiavtion, modify boot files, or etc. Pretty clean solution :)

I ended up just buying W8 for $15 though, but KMS activation wouldn't really be an issue for me either (I don't keep my OS installed for anywhere near 6 months at a time anyway lol).

8. MWS9

MWS9 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    Why not use phone activation of retail keys instead? I used them since the Windows 8 and I still not have been deactivated

I can post the link where the retail keys are posted daily but thought it is not allowed for this forum

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    don't even think about this kind of stuff here on MDL as it is forbidden to talk about :eek:

10. MWS9

MWS9 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    I know but it's similar to Office 2013 permanent activation I'm wondering why it is not allowedo_O

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    ask the owner of this site. He made the rulez ... :D

12. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It's not allowed. As MDL is a pretty big website we receive DMCA notices from Microsoft for things like that. Smaller sites may not have that problem, but they would likely also receive a DMCA if linked to here.

13. SallyAnn

SallyAnn MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2013
    KMSnano and Windows Loader

A friend recommended this forum to me and since I've never been on a forum before, I hope I'm in the right place; pls direct me if not.

I'll be entering my freshman year in college in the fall and have only used a PC in HS for doing papers; I surf the web with an iPhone/table. A relative convinced me that I would need at least a laptop for college so he gave me his old Lenovo G575, which he said had all of the apps I would need already installed. However, he said he tweaked a couple of them and it was possible that in the future they would need to be tweaked again.
    I took notes of what he said: the laptop came with Window7 Home Premium 64 bit installed but he used Windows Loader to upgrade it to Window7 Pro 64 bit. He installed Office 2013 Pro Plus trial without the key provided by Microsoft and used KMSnano to activate it. These are the apps he said might need future tweaking and from my reading here it seems that might be so.
    My question is, right now the apps seem to be working OK - what will happen in the future that will cause them to stop working? What are people talking about here that will take five minutes to fix the future issue? I hope you can give me an answer that is not too technical; some pages I read after my search talked about writing code and other stuff that I do not understand at all.
    Thanks.

14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Office is activated for 180 days by KMSNano, it´s normal for KMS activations. So half a year after previous activation, this has to be renewed by running KMSNano again. Last versions install an automatted task in task scheduler that will do this for you.

EDIT: And welcome at MDL, nearly forgot to mention :D.

15. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #36 Daz, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    The loader part for Windows 7 will remain working, but if you ever don't shutdown the laptop and it wants to run startup repair select to boot as normal instead. Or you could just open command prompt as an administrator and enter the following:
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures
    With KMS on Windows 7 I don't think it'll be too bad. If anything just be careful with Office related updates.

16. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    It would be if there was a flood of new kms server tokens such that Microsoft gives up on the ban wagon. That does not seem to be the case in the open source pirate community. Instead of flooding the tokens they maybe being held close to the chest in fear of banning. M$ wins by banning 2 keys .... :(

If tokens become to be shared then I think you will see things change and this method will last.

Regards

17. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #38 CODYQX4, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

18. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    If in Office 2013 a WAT or something like that,what what will happen then?If I don't activate Office 2013....?:confused:

19. anshumankhaitan

anshumankhaitan MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2012
    am wondering why MS would send notices for that and not the famous DAZ loader and other methods of activating MS softwares posted in MDL...i myself use ur loader sir!!! and its awesome! but just wondering whether is it legal?? MS would definitely be seeing that too right? so what is the problem in posting phone activation methods?? thats equally illegitimate too IMO...:confused: