ISO Created from $Windows.~BT

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GotItBro, Aug 4, 2015.

1. GotItBro

GotItBro MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    So I got the update for Windows 10 from Windows 10 and I updated it. After updating I remembered that I needed to upgrade my other PC too. But I had already blown my data cap and went above it. I went through the folders and found the Install.esd in the sources folder. I then copied it to my Desktop and then converted it using ESD Decrypter 4.7
    to iso.

I wanted to ask if I can use it to upgrade my other PC.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    sure, if it the same architecture and language version

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GotItBro

GotItBro MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    Yes it is :biggrin:.

4. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Along with saving yourself a duplicate download, you discovered something Microsoft really doesn't want many people to know about. And that is simply that the Media Creation Tool does nothing but download the correct .esd file and then converts it to an iso. Something you discovered you could do with any help from Microsoft. If you take a look at the file you see the filename is identical to the links posted in Murphy78's thread, including the hash.
    If you want to see why Microsoft created the Media Creation Tool take a look at some of the other files that are created and stored in those directories. Like setupact.log, windlp-state.xml There's lots more to explore, but you get the idea. Unfortunately most people just delete the directories after the iso is created, and never saw any of these files.

SetupAct-Log.png windlp-state-xml.png

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Murphy already noticed MCT is only a SFX performing similiar to abbodis decrypter :cool2:. No secret anymore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Senior Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Damn! I should've also saved the ESDs in the ~ folder. I thought as much that it was usable. Well.. next time.

7. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #7 xinso, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    While new build update is being downloaded, the temporary link for intact encripted ESD is stored in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb, same as KB .cab & LP .cab, etc.

Usually, we could use the following elevated commands to retrieve it:

Step 1: (to get ESD {JobID})

bitsadmin /list /allusers

Step 2: (to get temporary ESD link)

bitsadmin /listfiles {JobID}