ISP Spying on me?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, May 1, 2013.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

I ask on this forum because ya'll are pretty savvy peeps! :biggrin:

I have been using Sysinternals' TCPViewer to watch my "stack" whenever I'm online (and not). If I leave my FF browser open to my homepage (about:blank), there are usually 2 connections, both to localhosts. Not sure if they ever change, but currently they're #57275 & 57276.

More often than not, after rising in the am and looking at my screen, there are multiple connections to outside IP addresses that (obviously) were not initiated from my end. All of these IP's trace back to Time Warner, but how/why are they there if I don't actually start a session from my computer? Is Roadrunner backing into my machine and poking around?

TIA!

Russ

2. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    #2 bootstap, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    There is really not much you can do if you think they are. If your worried, go and use mobile internet for stuff you do not want them to see, and just make sure you do not say anything that can lead back to you, or pay for it with something going back to you.

Thats all you can do.

I am sure they are watching loads, and companies are probably stealing loads of people without there knowledge.

If your worried, do what i wrote above, but make sure your usage cannot lead back to you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Hmmm. I think they're not spying at all. They are busy with our connections and other stuff to do this thing. hehe. But it's only in my opinion

5. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    About the only thing that remotely concerns me is that it could be a rogue employee that's bored enough to back in and snoop around. These "reverse initiated" connections have me a bit worried. I've looked in ZoneAlarm and don't even see any Google related program. I have financial info and passwords to other sites that could cause me some grief... I could either lock ZA or s/d Firefox, but would rather figure out the "why" first.

Russ

6. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    We are all spying on you. PS-your shoelace is untied.

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pbr333

pbr333 MDL Novice

May 10, 2012
    no one has mentioned VPN......tunnel with encryption- pay service, but use provider other than your ISP ?

I know my ISP spies on me. I get emails when I have downloaded something I should not have or so I'm told.

pbr