Issue activating Windows 8 Pro OEM System Builder

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by A30N, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Noop, same.

2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #23 kelorgo, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    I can't believe noone noticed the inconsistent details in A30N's posts, which explains exactly why he couldn't activate:
    -C9WKB is the default key for 8.1. A30N installed 8.1, not 8. OEM System Builder License only exists for 8, therefore it came with a key for 8. This key probably can't be used to activate 8.1. Once the customer bought an 8.1 retail key, problem was solved.

In conclusion: A30N installed 8.1, and the customer bought an OEM version of 8.

Edit:

Although the details I pointed out are true, I am wrong about this being a source of the problem. According to the pkey config files, OEM keys for 8 should be accepted by 8.1. To test, I used KeyInfo to generate an OEM:NONSLP key for 8 (Groupid: 1802, Keyid: 0) and it was accepted without any problem by an 8.1 installation that was clean installed with C9WKB. (Although of course I couldn't test activation, there could still be a problem there).

The problem is likely somewhere else, for example:
    - The customer bought OEM version of Win 8 standard, not pro.
    - The product key was entered incorrectly into the command prompt for slmgr /ipk.

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Just for the record. I have a Genuine Windows 8 OEM SB key and it is accepted+activated without a hitch on 8.1. Understandable, since there was no RETAIL sold for 8.0 (OEM SB took that role). Now, with 8.1, things are different again as RETAIL is back.

4. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #26 Humphrey, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Well IDK how you managed to get the same SHA-1 as the one below but it is a match.

Code:
    MSDN RTM - Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English)
    Filename: en_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707217.iso
    sha1: BC2F7FF5C91C9F0F8676E39E703085C65072139B

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    If its a fresh system just do a fresh install? backup his files using windows easy transfer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    He alrdy solved the problem.

7. A30N

A30N MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    Yeah, solved it by having my customer pay Microsuck another $200 :weeping:

8. A30N

A30N MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    #31 A30N, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    (OP)
    It could be a Windows Update issue; after doing a clean install with the installation key (...C9WKB), I installed all the system drivers, and then downloaded and installed all the Windows Updates (rebooting several times).

Next time, I will make a system image (Acronis) post-installation, and then try replacing the installation key with the OEM key and attempt to activate. If that goes well, I will revert to the previous system image, install all Windows Updates, and then try it again, and see what happens.

Oh, and I don't know if its violating Microsoft's EULA, but we sell the above OEM System Builder disk ($140 for Pro) to customers, whether we build their systems or they do it themselves. (Most people who buy the above disk end up building it themselves)

9. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #33 kelorgo, Dec 21, 2013
    Only for Windows 8. As I posted previously Microsoft discontinued the Personal Use License, and it's not available for Windows 8.1

To summarise, the following three options exist:
    1) You can use a Windows 8 OEM System Builder product to build a new computer that you sell to someone else. Standard OEM license applies, and the builder is responsible for technical support.
    2) An end-user may buy a Windows 8 OEM System Builder product to install on a computer they build for themselves. The Personal Use License applies, and Microsoft is responsible for technical support.
    3) You can use a Windows 8.1 OEM System Builder product to build a new computer that you sell to someone else. Standard OEM license applies, and the builder is responsible for technical support.

An end-user may not buy a Windows 8.1 OEM System Builder product to install it on their own computer, and will not get technical support from Microsoft. The Windows 8.1 Retail product is there for that purpose.

Note that, in practice for example you can build a computer with Win 8.1 (so that you are the System Builder), and sell it for $0.01 to your brother, so that he is the end-user. This is perfectly legal but Microsoft won't provide technical support, since you (the builder) is supposed to provide tech support for your brother (the end-user).

10. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #34 Carlos Detweiller, Dec 21, 2013
    Please note this is not valid worldwide, in a few regions (Germany) OEMSB = (Retail-Support). In fact, if I want Retail here I have to specially order it. My XP, Vista, 7 and 8 licenses usually are OEM SB versions.

11. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Are you sure this is how it works? As far as I know, even in Germany, if you are the end user you don't get technical support directly from Microsoft for an OEMSB product (with Windows 8 Personal Use Licence being the only exception). From what I understand, the difference in Germany (from most of the world) is that you are allowed to transfer OEM licenses from one computer to another, just like a retail product. This however does not affect your right (or lack of) for technical support. Please correct me if I'm wrong, ideally with reference to a source :)

12. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #36 Carlos Detweiller, Dec 21, 2013
    That's why I said Retail MINUS Support. I guess it wasn't too obvious. Who needs MS support if MDL supports it? :D

OEM SB is a license bound to hardware by legal means (contrary to OEM:SLP that is also bound by technical measures). In the regions I mentioned binding the SB license is not allowed and it can be sold (and transferred) freely. In earlier times it was different but easily circumvented since it wasn't defined what hardware exactly. Thus you could get an OEM license along with a Floppy drive, or even cheaper, as long as it was PC hardware. :clap3:

13. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Sorry, wasn't obvious. I read "Retail-Support" as "supported as retail", not as "Retail MINUS Support".
    Yup. My understanding is that legally speaking, you can enter Germany for two minutes, transfer an OEM license to a different computer, then exit the country. So if you happen to have ever travelled to Germany, you can say you have performed your OEM license transfer at that point.
    Actually, the hardware was always clearly defined. The OEM license was associated with one particular piece of hardware when you received it (as you say, could've been a floppy drive), and technically you were only allowed to use the software in a computer that contained that piece of hardware. You could transfer the hardware together with the OEM license to a new computer. Nowadays the OEM license is associated specifically with the motherboard. As you say, Germany is an exception.