It doesn't matter if you disable telemetry or not. Windows 10 still talking to MS.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Hlx, Aug 13, 2015.

1. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Anyhow what needed to be shared was shared...

take it as it is, use some common sense and you know better undisclosed matters are not to be shared...

enjoy your popcorn :)

last comment on this topic, not going to turn this into a back and forth all nighter, don't have time and its just another forum...

All The Best, Mister BBQ

2. .org

.org MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    i c u

Microsoft is not interested in your everything :tea:

you think Microsoft is interested in your family photo album or your bank statements or your credit card details ?

the purpose of this is so called global espionage is very well explained by ms. joy in post #14

by the same magic & sorcery that Microsoft has been making operating systems since the last 2 decades.

AcuraTML has very taken care of all your queries...technically & otherwise...i will rest my case at this point.

i appreciate your patience your majesty :D

3. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    As I suspected. No actual facts presented to back the claims up. Blather with no evidence because none exists. Huge surprise. Might I suggest you go into religion? You can make millions spouting bulls**t on impossible things with nothing to back you up there, too. :rolleyes:

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #44 EFA11, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. mechanicweb

mechanicweb MDL Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Either you are not getting it or pretending something.

I don' think MS is after everything. However I don't trust govt. They can rise war on the basis of lies, and did on multiple times. War on Iraq on the basis of 'CIA intelligence' was lies. That is an example of global disaster.

A govt. how corrupt it is that engages in war on the basis of lies. What they can do when they will have access to, say, world's 90% of the PC data?

Let's assume they will do good. But who is going to prevent someone within MS or govt organizations wishes to manipulate your data? Yes, I know smartphones are being spied. How much info someone has on his smartphone?

Being ok with data mining is like opening a family brothel. Stay nude, keep your doors open with a signboard saying 'come, f*ck us, for free!'

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If they weren't interested in it, they wouldn't collect it.
    The existence of these meta-data collectors disproves that hypothesis.

Do I think they're sending all of this to the NSA?
    Personally, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    The NSA are building massive data storage facilities like the one in Utah.
    They don't do that if they're not collecting massive amounts of data.

7. Xaxa

Xaxa MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
  8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    192.168.1.1 is most likely your router.

9. Xaxa

Xaxa MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
    No, did not use my MS account (I have one, but did not sign to it for more than two months), am using local account only

10. Xaxa

Xaxa MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
  11. mechanicweb

mechanicweb MDL Member

Sep 1, 2011

This is a new level of collecting 'meta-data'

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Oh sure, they deployed "skynet" just for fun...:cool:

13. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    samsung phone talking to samsung... apple talking to apple... google android taking to google... why so mind about microsoft talking to microsoft... lol

14. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    They do. That's partly why things like Cyanogenmod exist - dePRISM'ing tech. This however is the major OS for the next decade from the biggest computer supplier in the world and in the post Snowden world, people are paying attention. Particularly on sites and forums such as this, which are dedicated to it and taking it apart. Quel surprise.

15. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #56 Michaela Joy, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    @mrbbq: There is no -dePRISMing- Unless you're willing to physically attack the cellular network points where the taps are installed. And I wouldn't recommend doing that, unless you want to become a domestic terrorist.

I believe that Microsoft is enabling data collection, more so than actually collecting the data.

William Binney said that the NSA is not so much interested in breaking Encryption; Their plan is to weaken the endpoints.

And Windows 10, as well as -every- smart phone falls under the auspices of "weakened endpoints".

Nothing is safe, because the data is captured "upstream" (See: PRISM)

I made this statement in another post:

I still stand by my original words.

-Evertything- must be scrutinized. If for nothing else but peace of mind.

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    #57 mrbbq, Aug 14, 2015
    DePRISM'ing was just a flippant `catch all` phrasing for the specifics.
    Anyway... No. What matters is WHAT goes in and out. NOTHING else matters.
    If the data isn't leaving, they aren't getting it. This is not a complicated concept. Block it going out - it isn't leaving. Simple as that. Logging can categorically prove this. I'm sure you at least can agree this.

If the data IS leaving but is encrypted (say TOR Browser, or TAILS), the time and effort to work with it is exponentially more difficult. This is why Snowden frequently uses TAILS after all. 100% safe? No. But it's a thing. As are things like Cyanogenmod with no google services, firewalls such as Droidwall, Orbot/Orweb for TOR under Android, VPN's, etc. From the Windows side, again TOR Browser, Firefox EME-free over Chrome, with EFF's tools like HTTPS-Everywhere, Privacy Badger, disconenct.me, self-destructing cookies, duckduckgo.... the list goes on. That's far better than "doing nothing". Eliminate and minimize what goes in and comes out. Sure someone can break a window, does that mean we shouldn't lock doors? At the very best, block them. At the very least... frustrate the hell out of them and let them waste resources for nothing.

If the data is blocked from the INCOMING side? They aren't getting in. GRC's port scanning tool (ShieldsUp?) can demonstrate this perfectly well.

Scrutinizing is how this stuff was found. You're right on that - everything is being checked, and this is wonderful to see. Dead on. It's also how you find what needs blocked, and act on it. No mythical backdoors (which in a decade and more have never been found, nor any real evidence of them - even the Snowden documents have never revealed these.) get around the basic fact of how internet traffic works. I hope nobody thinks that is disputable, for sanity's sake...

Scrutinize what goes out and what comes in, and control it. That's what matters.

17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @mrbbq: I agree. We must scrutinize everything. Then, and only then can we formulate a plan to protect ourselves.

And We can only achieve this by discussion and sharing of knowledge.

Some would say that these discussions are "useless". I disagree. If one person is motivated to check, and they share their findings here, we've made important strides towards protecting ourselves. At the very least, We've dispelled a myth.

And that's equally as important. Knowledge is power.

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. slope_45

slope_45 MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2014
    192.168.1.1 is an automatic assignment that is common on any private network. IP addresses in the private block are not routed over the internet, so 192.168.1.1 is a common IP. That particular one should be assigned to your default gateway (router), but not necessarily so, as the internal addresses can be manually assigned among the various devices in your private network. Windows has not remembered and recalled this address for you.

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #60 T-S, Aug 14, 2015

Common or not it shouldn't be there.

On a fresh install that field must be blank, period.