It's official! windows 10 is really losing market share to windows 7!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by stream, Apr 17, 2017.

1. stream

stream MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    #1 stream, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Please post it in chitchat...

3. NsaFarm

NsaFarm MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2017
    I gave it a solid go and 10 is lacking. Too much store, not enough leave you the hell alone. After 7, 8.1 is still tameable and you can remove metro. I had to replace the start menu on 10 anyway so what is the point. At least the updates on 8.1 install without crying about missing components.

4. bebj1957

bebj1957 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    #5 bebj1957, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    to be honest i think windows 10 is still gaining share overall just not as fast

tbh it will probably keep gaining marketshare at about a half a percent point a month until it gets to 90 percent os marketshare on desktops "the rest will go to linux/mac and other oses "

there may be some periods where the os loses share and gains it back etc but overall long run baring a major revelation like android for desktops or windows 11 it will continue to gain share on desktops "the only thing that can truly destory windows os monopoly on the pc is android coming to pcs maybe fused with ubuntu somehow or something or mixed up with reactos"

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    "Old" machines do not die... neurotic people buy new ones because that is what capitalism tought them. The larger and more complete the surveillance of people by "their" government gets, the more popular Win7 will get.
    Do not misunderstand this please, anyone not able to see this, is very welcome to use Win10.
    And 11, and whatever else that is "more perfect". :tea:

7. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    There won't be an 11. Per Microsoft "windows is a service"

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I think in the near future, "Windows as a Service" will give way to "Windows as a Subscription"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. bebj1957

bebj1957 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    I have had many old machines die.

10. jgtoy

jgtoy MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    On my collection I have 3 old machines with Windows 7 Ultimate and they work (still) beautiful. I even created last week a Windows 7 AIO ISO (all version x86, x64).

11. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    Even if they don't die. There comes a point where they aren't fit for purpose. A bunch of stuff can't HW decode newer video and on CPU it lags. Its not neurotic to want to play youtube videos without stuttering. Try running win2k on a PIII now and see if you can find a relatively modern browser on it. It goes on and on like that as time marches on.

As much as MS wants it I don't think people will be shelling out a monthly fee for windows any time soon. Some business as part of their VL agreement maybe but for plain randos its just going to leave a bunch of unpatched machines stuck at windows 10 29302.239023 or whatever build.

12. bebj1957

bebj1957 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    Right, for businesses it is OK, but we see how MS has made updates mandatory, and rightly so. A well patched machine is a well oiled machine with less chance of trojans, viruses, etc. Most of the viruses in the past were attributed to people who refused to update. Also, it is simply NOT a good business model or public relations policy to require the general public to pay a monthly fee to use an operating system. There would just be too much animosity, and would likely be a death knell for Microsoft. A subscription based plan for using Windows is just not something we need concern ourselves with as it is not going to happen.

13. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    Except with 10 the updates are easy to break. If you remove certain components it won't install the cumulative updates anymore.

MS new attitude is you will take all of it or you get none of it. So if there ever is a subscription that will be the punishment. Its already shown up for the 7th gen proc users on 7 and 8.1.

IMO, they are headed towards store only model since the settings are already there. Updates will be the stick to beat up people. Joke is of course on them because the 0-day trojans/viruses/etc come from the plethora of services windows puts on the network by default. Besides you running them there aren't really a whole lot of other vectors.

14. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Win7 is great and all but also OLD. There are a lot of things we now take for granted that didn't even exist when win7 was rolled out. I find using Enterprise LTSB is a good solution, albeit illegal.

I can understand that MS wants to make money but I will never use their services, I don't do ads and I won't pay 500 euro for a license or pay for a subscription. Luckily pirates find a way.

15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have read this quite a few times... I have been using computers for 20 years, and not one of them ever died.
    I have an HP laptop from 2000, added RAM and SSD and Win7... and desktop I, a total ignorant about computers, basically built myself.

16. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    'Windows 10 Enterprise E3' is already subscription based?

17. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    That is ALL because someone in the upper/middle management decided to make Windows 10 (and attempted to do the same with Windows 8/8.1) a 2-in-1 OS, a hybrid for both PC's and Tablets. If they were to release a stand-alone Windows 10 without Store and all that stuff - it would be like a turbo-optimized and secure Windows 7.

Even TODAY Microsoft can turn this around by releasing a special update or application or however you want to call it and name it something like Classic UI, something you apply and your Windows 10 looks and functions like Windows 7 without any need for tweaking, ClassicShell/Start10, etc. Just a one-time install to make Windows 10 UI be PC-friendly without its Store and Metro crap. Yet, MS will never release something like that... So simple and obvious, and yet nobody is going to make it happen... That is why there are hundreds of thread on these forums about changing Windows 10 settings and applying tweaks to make it as proper OS, at least UI-wise...

18. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #19 RJARRRPCGP, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Reminds me of CB/CBB Windows 10 last year! For no apparent reason, Windows 10 was crying about corrupted files! (I was like, " I'm not even overclocking you asshole!")

Both the event log, under the category "Audit Failure" and SFC, cried about corrupted files! Go back to a previous Windows version and no signs of file corruption, even with 64-bit...

I'm used to getting errors like that when the RAM frequency is too high or the bus frequency too high...
    So, I wasn't born yesterday! I overclock a lot!

I got the above mentioned error messages when just a stocker!

Looks like sloppy programming! Especially the bizarre-looking message I saw on an HP at the Claremont, NH Walmart today, I saw English like it was written by a freaking 12 year old!

Just forgetting "to" in the sentence was enough for my brain to throw an English language syntax error!

Even when subtle, it's worthy of someone getting fired at MSFT!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Not often I see a post where EVERYTHING WRITTEN IS COMPLETE BS
    Congratulations!