JAVA updates

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by burnix, Sep 21, 2016.

1. burnix

burnix MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Hello guys.

Is someone know a solution to dont have to update daily Java on computer.

Is there a version that dont need to update and that dont block java on appliance without enter a rule on computer.

Thanks all for your reading and sorry for my english

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you do not need for anything explicitly, then do NOT install it at all

3. burnix

burnix MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    the problem was that i need it for file exchange with some client and to configure wifi ap that had java interface.

My question (a big noob question) : Today do we need JAVA runtime to only web surfing ???? or it is just an habit of system administrator tu put java on computer when we create a master image ???

Thanks.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #4 Michaela Joy, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    They put it there if they know that you running apps that need it. One less thing to install after the image is deployed.

And as Sebus said, you don't need java, unless a site specifically calls for it. Some sites write java applets which require it.

Perhaps you're mistaking Java for JavaScript?

If you have Java installed, make sure that you have the latest security updates.

Very important.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mulligan17

Mulligan17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Are you talking about JRE? Have you tried configuring it via Control Panel? ;)

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Java is very rarely needed nowadays and most users, including me, can do without it. To my knowledge, only a few financial sites are still using it. Tip: If you don't know whether you need it, then you probably don't.

It is also a security liability, so if you don't need it, uninstall it or disable the browser plugin.

But if you do have it, you should keep it updated or security is undermined even further.

Note: Java should not be confused with JavaScript.