Just Can't Get It Done OEM Activation!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by weberman, Jun 12, 2010.

1. weberman

weberman MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Mission Accomplished

Mission Accomplished! :D

Well I am back up with a new installation. :biggrin: Since I could not get the installation DVD disk to boot from the DVD, I figured what the heck, I will try running it from inside Window 7. :confused:

I ran the Setup.exe off of the new DVD and tried for an upgrade. Almost got it done, but then it crashed. So, I tried a new install instead and about 1 1/2 hours later I had a fresh new copy of Windows installed. :D Dell OEM and Activated even with the Dell Logo and support phone numbers.

I have so far, reinstalled Firefox and Thunderbird and used backups that I made with Mozbackup to restore the programs to their pre-installation state. Firefox is just as I had it installed with links and history and Thunderbird has all settings a e-mails restored.

So now, on with the rebuild. I know it will be a pain, but I will install a few of the necessary programs immediately and the rest as I need them.

My old Windows 7 installation was, unfortunately corrupted beyond repair, and I am sure it was full of cobwebs lurking about as some features in Windows 7 didn't work properly.

Thanks to everyone that has provided thoughts and assistance. :) :clap:

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Your experience shows how important it is to be careful as to which software you install - you should also create a backup of a system that is running well to restore from.

AND - always remember - "if it ain't broke don't mess with it !!"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. weberman

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I have installed most of my necessary software. I am running Raid 1 Mirroring on two 1 TB drives. I make frequent system image backups to an external 1TB WD MyBook. They were a life saver during this fiasco, but they sure take a long time to complete and sometimes stall. I don't think much of the Windows 7 supplied backup system. I also set frequent restore points especially before I make a change. :)

It was the darn MOBO failure that started all of this. :eek:

Live and learn. :biggrin:

But all in all I think the modded bios with an OEM install is the way to go (IMHO).

Again, thanks to all that have offered help, suggestions and yes even criticism. :biggrin:

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Get a copy of Acronis Trueimage 2010 for backup - even if only because it includes some features that are indispensible -

It can run at boot up time if you enable the startup manager so even if windows won't boot you don't have to resort to booting from a DVD.
    It can create a hidden partition to store images if you choose as well as file based images and DVD images.
    It can convert to and from Windows backup images.
    It can create a bootable image from a backup and add it to your startup menu to confirm your image will boot and is completely workable.
    It can do "continuous" backup.

AND - it can do what they call "Universal Restore" where the restored system is independent of the hardware requirements of the installation - that is in your case a universal restored system wouldn't care that you had changed the motherboard or any other hardware.

If you can't afford it - and I reckon it is a bargain - there is always warez.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. weberman

Jun 4, 2010

Sounds like a MUST HAVE!

Thanks for the info.

6. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Why did you screw up the activation if you used the PROPER Certificate and PROPER Key. It should have been Activated... you stated you had SLIC 2.1. - I do wonder why the remark about DAZ loader... it is not needed if
    1.) Slic 2.1
    2.) Proper Certificate
    3.) Proper Key

7. weberman

Jun 4, 2010
    #27 weberman, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    (OP)
    Those were Roscoes words!

I don't understand the point of your post.

The quote that you are referring to was not made by me. It was made by Roscoe.

You have taken these words out of a quote reply by me to Roscoe and you have attributed those words to me. I never made those statements which were in a quote of Roscoe's words in a post I made.

Take it up with Roscoe if you have some question or want some clarification as to what he meant. Roscoe was only trying to help me deal with a difficult problem, for which I am grateful.

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    If you only post to flame - DON'T

9. weberman

Jun 4, 2010
    #29 weberman, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    (OP)
    No Flame Intended

EDIT: I did not see that your post was not aimed at me I think but at Snuffy! However my comments are still valid.

I did not post to FLAME you. I don't do that and will bite my tongue before I FLAME. I sorta got the impression that your posted question was a little bit of a flame against me. Perhaps I was wrong.

Sorry you considered it a FLAME as it was not intended as such! I try very hard to be factual. :confused:

As I stated, I didn't understand your post and simply posted to correct what I though were incorrect attributions to me.

If you would please expand on your question, so I under a little better, :eek: to me then perhaps I or someone else can answer it cogently.

I honestly appreciate all the help I have been given in these forums. :D I have been flamed in other forums and didn't like it. So again, I did not intend the post to be a flame although you apparently perceived it as a flame. o_O

If you could be so kind as to restate your post with what information you are seeking so I can understand what information you are seeking, I will try to provide an answer (Civilly) :eek:. But, if your problem is with what Roscoe posted, then Roscoe will have to be the one to explain as I can't speak for Roscoe. In regards to the DAZ loader, I have never used it and I believe it was only suggested by Roscoe as a possible solution to my problem.

Anyway, it is a moot point as of now as I have as I posted elsewhere, my problem is solved. I am activated and genuine.

Being friends is easier than not. :)

10. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I think what Rosco was suggesting is that my application can install the correct certificate and serial automatically. I should also note that as of 1.8.4 (not yet released as I write this) the application will try to activate BIOS SLIC 2.1 first and then if the systems still not activated it will only then install the loader. This change was made for users like yourself who have a machine that contains SLIC 2.1 either because they BIOS modded it or because they bought it that way. Quicker, cleaner and easier for everyone :)

11. neomatrix

neomatrix MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009

DAZ, v will w8 for that, even I m using modded bios with manually activated windows.

12. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I think you've been polite and reserved - yeah I was simply suggesting snuffy be helpful rather than critical. And I was recommending Daz's loader for its fine features - every update to his work is a step forward and much appreciated. In fact all the loaders and other software "activators" here have been fantastic. My personal preference is not to hack system files but all the efforts are great and deserve commendation.

13. deadcalm

deadcalm MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    I have to agree, i had the same problem, it took me a while to find out which loader i had used , after fiding out which one i used and removed it Daz loader worked is magic an had no problems since

14. chandu_ycm

chandu_ycm MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2011
    Windows 7 Activation

hi i've installed windows 7 ultimate using BIE-Loader. now microsoft released SP-1 for Windows 7.i hear that

micorsoft included the update KB971033 in SP-1. can i intall Sp-1 directly on my OS, or i've to run any patches

prior to installion. can anybody help me...........

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009