Key blacklisted ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Leporello, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Leporello

Leporello MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    Question: Is it possible that the Key for ASUS (Win 7 Ultimate and successful installed SLIC) doesn't work anymore?

For me it looks like. The activation just with a changed key (asus to dell) makes it working again.

Btw, I'm familiar with the entire procedure. SLIC is installed on several Computers by me using different certificates and keys. Everything is working. Therefore, my Question on top of this posting.

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    It's unlikely because it would effect thousands of computers .. Cert must match slic but the key does not need to match cert .. The key just needs to be for the version of the OS you want to install ..

3. Leporello

Leporello MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    I know and agree, absolutely.

Asus slic and certificate I kept are working still fine. But the asus key for ultimate (well known by all of us) doesn't work anymore (worked before), at least for me. Therefore, I changed it just to Dell Key in the same category. Only the key, nothing else. And, voila, working without any problems.

OK, I'm not saying it is blacklisted. It might be an individual problem on my side. I was surprised a little about that and can not explain it.
    When I will have more time I will do another test installation, just to figure that out.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Leporello

Leporello MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    That doesn't help in my case. The problem was, that I couldn't activate using the ASUS Key I used before. After changing and using another one the activation ist done. The 3 digit section schows OEM like it should. No problems anymore.

It seems to be my individual problem, thus any others have no trouble with the key.

6. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    As long as you have installed a matching slic/cert pair, just changing the key is sometimes enough to nudge a system out of non-genuine status. If that is what happened, changing back to asus would work.

7. Leporello

Leporello MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    #7 Leporello, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks for yr answer.

At that time when it happened I had a strange situation in my system after a crash using "Acronis Try & Buy" (Virtual System). I had to rebuild my MBR. That worked successfully. But thereafter the system remained activated, however, non-genuine. I guess due to wrong registry entries caused by the formerly crashed virtual System of Acronis.
    Thus, it was a very unlucky status. Everything looked working fine but e.g. there were no more updates possible. As I mentioned: Activated - but Non-Genuine !

I tried different repair procedures. Nothing helped. Therefore, I had to set up an entire REPAIR Installation using Win7 SP1. This succeeded without any problems. Of course, I reinstalled the matching CERT fitting to the existing SLIC in the Bios. Then I activated it with the known ASUS Key. It was NOT accepted. I checked everything, carefully, but only an other OEM Key helped. Now the system is back in a normal genuine status with Asus Slic/Cert and another different OEM Key.

Anyway, I learned out of the responses that the Asus Key is still valid. I cannot explain what caused my problems with this key. My repair story might have created it. Additionally, I think these are interesting circumstances how a system can run in such situation where it is found as REMAINING activated but non-genuine!

8. spinalGR

spinalGR MDL Senior Member

Oct 16, 2014
    +1

totally agree