Keyboard mapping...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Mar 23, 2013.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

I have used several remappers in the past to disable my caps lock and insert keys. Is anything available that will permanently enable my num lock key? I use a laptop and always use the number pad on the RH side, but invariably, my fat fingers somehow manage to click off the num lock and this can cause major issues in some places. Like deleting an entire response to a post when I type a number with the num lock off!

TIA!

Russ

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    I set mine to ON in CMOS Setup, but the key stays active after booting. If I hit NumLock after start up it turns it off. Sounds like you want to completely disable the key (after setting it on) to prevent inadvertent resets once booted. Is that correct?

I take it your previous mapping programs don't work in Windows 7? If they worked in XP, they might work in 7 if XP emulation mode is set for the program.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There 3. Party Apps which could do the job and even let you replavce some key's from it's default location to an other. Look at programs like Hotkeycontrol, Active Keys, Macro Keys and such, there maybe some Freeware available.

Personally I use Macro Toolworks because I use such a lot for to simplify and speed up some work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 pisthai, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I don't have that option in my BIOS. I DL'ed a different remapper called "Key Tweak" as found on a Google search, installed it, and rebooted. At first, the numlock light winked out on the Win startup screen but returned and now cannot be toggled from the on state!

Russ