Keyboard question

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Pasta88, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    Stupid question time guys, I heard it is ok to wash a keyboard inside a dishwasher, what about a washing machine? has anyone tried it or heard of someone doing this?

Do you guys think it would be safe to do so?

thx

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Bad idea. I explain why.

You couldn't get an electric shock but you could render your keyboard unfunctionally bzw. malfunctioning. There are circuits that represent every key. If you press a key, the circuit gets closed. Basically, there is a circuit board and some plastic foil etc: circuit board, then some kind of foil, then the rubber parts and clips for the keys.
    Moisture can easily get between and stay there, causing short circuits etc.

When I wanted to clean a Logitech keyboard of mine, I removed every key and fully disassembled it (using a kitchen knife and some screwdriver - not difficult but you have to take care not to rip off some cables or whatsoever).
    Then it was possible to wash all keys and all plastic parts - but not the electronic parts themselves (which isn't necessary usually).
    This isn't possible with all keyboards. If it's an expensive one I'd give it a try. If not - try anyways, but if it doesn't seem to work, throw it away. Too much work. I know because I did this twice :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Come on....... I thought everybody knew that the old electricity and water combo did not work out well. :rolleyes: :D ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    One could let it dry completely, no?

5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    If there is water between some parts, it would take months to dry (if it evaporates at all) and the parts would be corroded. Especially, when cleaning agents like in a dish washer or washing machine are used...

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Personally i use a hoover with a dusting attacthment to clean my keyboard but if you really want to be thorouogh then try using a can of compressed air. Availiable from good electronics stores or ebay.

7. jerry.p009

jerry.p009 MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2010
    lolz what a silly quetion and why u asked this? :D ok if u wish to know how what will be happened then must try it once in your washing machine :D

8. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I think he means you remove the electrical circuit first.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009

Out of curiosity I tried it with an old IBM pc...
    After Washing the Keyboard Went insane (lights were blinking like christmas lights and random keys after a couple of mins the keyboard is dead... and so is the PS/2 Port :)

10. Pooh the Pirate

Pooh the Pirate MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    This is why you never waste money on expensive keyboards, with cheap ones you throw it out and get new one. If you did get a more expensive one then you can afford canned air right ? I would love to see a G15 keyboard in the washer, the lcd would love it :D