Keyboard works great in BIOS. Does not respond to login screen. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by frustratedashell, Jul 28, 2012.

1. frustratedashell

frustratedashell MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2012
    #1 frustratedashell, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
    ok first off, ive read this problem on a lot of other forums, and ive seen a lot of people trying to help the people cursed with this problem. And ive done absolutely everything possible to try to get around this problem.

SO this morning im on my computer, on the internet, just browsing around, occasionally using my keyboard from time to time, and then i turned it off to go do some stuff. Came back, went to boot it, and at the xp login screen, it would not let me type anything.

1. My keyboard is not shot, it works great in bios, as well as in other computers. Ive even tried brand new keyboards from other computers.

2. Ive read everything from pressing ctrl + alt +delete twice, holding it down, 3 times, etc...doesnt work. the windows key + U for onboard keyboard, yea, that doesnt work either. ive tried all sorts of combinations, ctrl + alt+ esc. nothing. ive tried pretty much everything known to a computer genius or a computer idiot. stuff ive never even heard of. and heres the catch. the numlock light is on the whole time, so i know the keyboard is still working on the login screen.

3. Ive tried going to every single mode possible, safe mode, safe mode with networking, with cmd prompt, system restore, last known good config, ive tried debugging mode, ive tried everything on my f8 screen but hey guess what it doesnt matter because ALL of them bring me back to the windows xp login screen, which i cant get past.

4. I keep reading from other people hey go to this menu go to that menu, hey guess what id love to, and im sure it WOULD help, but i have just one small problem, i cant get past the god damned login screen!

so in other words would somebody please give me some info thats actually useful, if it involves being on the desktop or on explorer, go ahead and forget it, because i can not get past the login screen.

5. i have no xp cd. no password reset disc. nothing.

ive read alot about how it might have something to do with bios, if thats the case, then hey tell me what to do, because my keyboard works in bios, but like i said, the second i get to the login screen, boom, unresponsive.

pls pls pls help me before i throw this computer out the fu**ing window.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Some more info would help what type of keyboard is it PS2, USB, USB wireless I would check usb settings in bios and check if USB legacy option is enabled.

3. frustratedashell

frustratedashell MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2012
    at first it was a regular old keyboard from the 90s, no make or model number on it, then i switched to a dell hp keyboard, again no numbers, or model number.

but why does that matter? its NOT the keyboard, it works fine. they both work fine on other computers, and the original one i was using was working fine before i turned off the computer.

neither of them are usb keyboards they are just plu gin the back keyboards, regular old keyboards with the pin heads u know

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You mean an old AT keyboard well if it works in bios and not at windows logon then it has to be a driver so you will probably need to do a windows xp repair install. So you will need to get hold of an xp cd or download one. You could also try a windows PE disk first if you have one. And the reason I asked what type of keyboard it was because it does matter certain setting in bios can affect settings in windows.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    motherboard model/ bios version?
    tried usb with Legacy USB enabled ?

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I mentioned enable Legacy USB already but the more I think of this considering it looks as if it is an ancient AT keyboard beginning to think the computer is the same age may not even have usb ports, or he may be using an AT to PS2 or AT to USB adaptor I mean why use an AT keyboard if he is using a modern computer. But as usual not enough info.

7. nitin_web

nitin_web MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    Hi

i hav d same problem...exact u stated.. my3 months logitec k100 ps2 keboard not working. do u have the solution. cause i m thinkin to format my all HD. cause i already tried reinstalling windows thrice. Went 2 service center.. tried on another pc... it works great.but suks @ my pc..sorry for ny typo mistake..but pls undrstand my problem. i m usin vertual kbord. plllllllsssss HELPPPPPPPPP :weeping:

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Try another PS2 keyboard that way you can rule out the PS2 port being damaged.